There is something about mothers.

by Beth Anne on May 13, 2014

When I was a little girl, my favorite days were the ones when my mother came to school. For lunch or a class party or a play…I thought she was beautiful & she’d wear her perfume & lipstick & I couldn’t wait to show her off.

She was my mother, only mine, & I was the luckiest girl in the whole world.

mothersday There is something about mothers.

On Friday I put on a sundress & lipstick & my magnolia perfume & walked through the preschool doors for a Mother’s Day tea. Harry ran over quietly & squeezed me tight, his lips pressed together in a proud smile, the kind where I know he’s just bursting inside. He led me to a little chair & brought the strawberry he dipped in chocolate pudding just for me & crawled into my lap when I told him it was the best tea party I’d ever attended.

I’m his, only his, & I am still the luckiest girl in the whole world.

Lindsay May 13, 2014 at 9:10 am

So sweet. <3

Amber Olmstead May 13, 2014 at 5:32 pm

Beautiful sentiment, and beautiful mother and son.
Mommies are magical creatures, indeed. :-)

Maija May 13, 2014 at 11:13 pm

My son recently sang at a school assembly with his class. He reminded me for a month about the date and time and every single time he reminded me I promised I’d be there. When I walked into where they were singing and he caught my eye his whole face lit up and he waved and gave me the thumbs up. He knew all along that I was coming but when I walked in the doors I knew it made the experience so much more special for him and it made my heart full. I hope you had a lovely Mother’s Day!

Megan May 14, 2014 at 11:36 am

I’ve missed your writing! Glad to see you round here :)

Nikki May 14, 2014 at 2:12 pm

I completely understand.

Happy Mommy May 21, 2014 at 7:36 am

I feel the same way about my mom when I was a lot younger. I would always be excited to see her come inside my classroom. I was proud of her and boasted about her amongst my peers. I promised myself that I’d make my kid feel the same way. And now, I see it. I feel really special when he hugs me in front of his friends everytime I pick him up from school. This is the most rewarding feeling in motherhood. :)

Jess May 29, 2014 at 12:12 pm

And now I feel the need to get over to school to meet Ave for lunch :)

Beth Anne May 30, 2014 at 9:56 am

I know that feeling all to well, Jess :)

Hayley June 18, 2014 at 8:03 pm

I’m twenty two; my mom passed when I was seventeen and she thirty nine. This is exactly how I felt about her as both a child, and still, now as a young adult. How beautiful it was to be reminded of that. Thanks for your words :)