Monday is for babies, bronies, & blogs

by Beth Anne on April 15, 2013

THANK YOU for all of your sweet comments about Damien the mother effing cyst. I read every single one & while I haven’t had the chance to reply to all of them, sharing your stories & encouragement & pissed-off-ness really helped me last week. Doug even read them on his own & they helped him, too. That’s the best thing about this little space on the internet, the chance to tell stories & make the world a little easier to handle. Right now I’m in the place where I just want the damn thing out of me. It’s all kinds of uncomfortable & now I’m more worried about rupturing the thing – I had one burst in early 2008 before I started blogging & ZERO FUN. Me, crawling on the floor & sobbing at 3am & a distended belly for a few weeks.  That was also on the right side, so now my right ovary gets the official side-eye & maybe it’s best if it comes out. I’m worried about cutting my egg count in half & fertility stuff, but I’ve talked to several friends that have gotten pregnant easily & successfully with only one ovary. So, you know. Babies in the future!

A slight bummer in that I might be out for the sprint triathlon in mid-May. I keep reminding myself that there will be others & all my work is not for loss even if I don’t get to race. I’m not sure what the standard wait time between laparascopic surgery & intense athletic competition is, but I’m doubting it is a mere three weeks. Especially since I’ve had to back off training significantly in hopes to not rupture the damn thing before they can yank it out.

______________________________________________

Last week I pulled up in our driveway to see a rather distinct box sitting on our front step – a Build A Bear box. I figured it might be from a neighbor, seeing how we have some really great ones & they’re still in “welcoming committee” mode for our little family. As Doug pulled in behind me with Harry in tow, I picked up the box & noticed a shipping label from New York & rainbow hair sticking out of the windows in the box.

After reading about his love of My Little Pony, my editors at Babble sent Harry the brand-new Rainbow Dash Build A Bear.

He opened the box one tab at a time & then just stared in with the biggest smile on his face. “This is Rainbow Dash?” he asked in awe. Then he pulled the pony out & hugged him close. He’s slept with Rainbow Dash every night since.  THANK YOU, Lindsey & Andrea & Jasmine & the rest of the Babble team!

KeAnne April 15, 2013 at 1:43 pm

Look at the smile on his face! That is one happy boy.

kristen April 15, 2013 at 2:12 pm

the huge-grin-Rainbow-Dash-hug picture has MURDERED ME DEAD.

Sarah April 15, 2013 at 2:15 pm

I am so beyond sad about Google Reader – and word is Feedbruner is next! :( I’ve been using Feedly on the iPhone, though, and it works pretty well….

Arnebya April 15, 2013 at 2:28 pm

I still use the dashboard of my Blogspot blog to read the blogs I follow, so yeah, I need to figure something out fast. And man is his smile infectious.

The Momma April 15, 2013 at 2:32 pm

Man. Harry’s smile is so so sweet. I love it.

FYI – you can still use Google reader for now. Go to google.com/reader and it should still come up. I just used it this morning.

I agree about being a full feed reader. I don’t like how bloglovin’ is just half feeds, and I generally don’t have time for all of the clicks over to a full site. But I guess if it’s something that I really still want to see I’d do it…

Stacey April 15, 2013 at 2:54 pm

How sweet of them :) He looks so happy!
I had 2 laparascopic surgeries in a 2 year time frame… 1 was an appendectomy and the other was to see if I had endometriosis. In the appendectomy they left the gas in me after the surgery and I had to pass it. It was super uncomfortable and pretty painful. I left the hospital basically 6 months pregnant and could not wear any of my jeans (which was all I had to leave in). I ended up going back to work after 4 days and still couldn’t button my jeans. I walked as much as I could to pass the gas, but it did hurt to walk a lot and of course you aren’t supposed to over-do it. I did end up going for a jog a few weeks afterwards and survived. I remember the worst part was the pain in my lower stomach as I had I no control over the stretched muscles and leftover gas. Everything just jiggled which made my incisions hurt more as they moved all over. I’m thinking you might not be able to do the race in 3 weeks.

With my second surgery they sucked the gas back out of me so I left only slightly bloated. Basically felt like a period week. It was great and made the recovery feel and go so much better in my opinion. I could focus on resting and healing the incisions and not feeling the pressure to get up and move around to pass the gas. If you get an imput about this, I would highly suggest asking them to take it back out!

Emily April 15, 2013 at 3:01 pm

I am just dying laughing that they sent a pony for him:) Fun little surprises like that are the best.

Laura Case April 15, 2013 at 3:48 pm

I just had my gall bladder post-surgery check this morning and they said I had no restrictions. I said, “The day before I went downhill, I ran 13 miles. Is it safe to run 13 now?” and he said yes. 10 days ago they removed an organ from my body! So maybe the race might happen? Or maybe don’t try to be superwoman.

Samantha April 15, 2013 at 4:51 pm

Sorry to hear that this may be keeping you from the try, but health is #1! Best of luck with your surgery and recovery, BA!

jenni from the blog April 16, 2013 at 9:40 am

Aww, the sweetest pics of Harry! He looks so happy! We’re having Brynn’s birthday party at Build-A-Bear in a few weeks and I know ALL the kids will be drooling over the new My Little Pony items they have there. (Sure, why not just steal all my money, while you’re at it, BAB.)

I just read your cyst post and I am SO SORRY you’re going through this hun. I recently had surgery to remove a cervical cyst a few months ago (it scared the shit out of us nearly my entire 2nd & 3rd trimesters with Reid) but the surgery itself wasn’t bad at all. The worst part was waiting for my biopsy results (which I got the day before my dad died, so I’m glad he knew that I was okay.) But the week before my surgery, I had another cyst burst and OMG THE PAIN. At first I thought it was my cervical cyst, but it was an ovarian cyst. They had to give me another u/s just to make sure. Good times all around.

I’ll be thinking of you on the 25th, love. I know that you will kick ass and bounce right back from this.

xo

Charli April 17, 2013 at 3:24 pm

My boy is also a Bronie. So hard that i just ordered him a Rainbow Dash personalized shirt from Etsy for his fourth birthday… and we are going to BAB on Monday night specifically to get a pony for his birthday. When its his time to watch something on TV he ALWAYS asks for My Little Pony : Friendship Is Magic. yes, the entire name. He loves it so and it makes my heart happy that your Harry is also a Bronie :)
Cysts blow. I just had my tubes tied laprascopically and i had so much scar tissue on my right ovary from ruptured cysts that the tube was tethered to the back wall of my uterus. Get that biotch taken care of becuase large ones can be life threatening if they rupture and RIP your ovary off. You will do awesome and get pregnant fine when the time comes. Thinking of you on the 25th!

Jenny April 17, 2013 at 10:55 pm

I Just want to wish you luck with your surgery! and how cute is Rainbow Dash. Thank you for writing on such an important topic as Sensory Processing Disorders. I had one as a child and pretty much still have it to a certain extent. Not easy to deal with for parents and the child.

Leigh Ann April 21, 2013 at 10:53 am

How adorable is that? 2 of my girls got the Rainbow Dash Build a Bear and love it. The 3rd opted for Hello Kitty. And every time I tweet anything MLP I get RTd by a Brony account.

Carolyn April 25, 2013 at 3:42 am

If it’s helpful to hear, my mom had an ovary removed due to a gigantic cyst, and then two years later got pregnant with twins (identical, but STILL! Pretty impressive to have two babies with one ovary!) and then went on to have two more kids later (before another cyst took out her remaining ovary, but she was in her late forties and after six kids, was ready to throw in the towel!) So there’s definitely hope for getting pregnant with only one ovary ;)

Jill May 5, 2013 at 12:29 am

Not sure if anyone else has told you but Feedly is a great GR alternative. I transferred my blogs to BL a few weeks ago and also disliked the partial feed thing. I moved over to Feedly about a week ago and so far so good. You get full feeds and the iPad app is pretty nice – something I always hated that GR didn’t have. Hope that helps!