Oreo the Rabbit, aka Lessons in Buying Generic.

by Beth Anne on March 26, 2013

photo 764x1024 Oreo the Rabbit, aka Lessons in Buying Generic.

I don’t always have leprosy around my face while snuggling a rabbit, but when I do I make sure it’s during school pictures.

People. I barely even have words. Because it’s school picture time again & there’s livestock involved again.

You remember Peanut Butter the Pony from 2012? This time it was a pair of fluffy rabbits & I was taking bets over text message on whether or not the Hibster would actually hold a bunny. The little girls in his class were a’flutter over the soft! cuddly! bunnies! but he looked at the rabbit cage like we were all drunk for even suggesting this nonsense.

I’m not entirely sure what they bribed him with, but lo & behold, he snuggled a live rabbit.

I’m a little bummed because the photographer captured zero of his personality unlike last time & I really wanted a good bunny picture to put next to the cowboy on the beach picture.

But poor Hibby was feeling the worst ever thanks to a wicked cold & his momma buying CVS brand vapor bath wash. You know that vapor-infused bath wash that is made by Johnson & Johnson? I normally buy the Target knock-off & it is so lovely & soothing. I pour a little in the bathtub & the steam helps the vapors clear him up before he goes to bed. But this time I snagged a CVS version. Bad idea, self. Harrison errupted in a nasty rash all over that was quite painful. Hands, chest, back, face…you name it. A week of Burt’s Bees & Aquaphor later, he’s looking good again but the Leprosy rash is now captured for all eternity.

Even the rabbit is like, “Is his hand going to fall off while he’s holding me? Is this contagious cross-species? Is someone going to come get me?”

p.s. because someone will ask – those bunnies are privately loved & owned by the photographer as family pets. they are not from a bunny farm or purchased for the pictures.

Jen Wargo March 26, 2013 at 2:55 pm

Our preschools must use the same photographers b/c we had Peanut Butter the pony and we had the bunnies last week.

Beth Anne March 26, 2013 at 4:43 pm

These bunnies are like the village bicycle.

They’re also bunnies.

The amount of inappropriate jokes that could be made at their expense are endless.

KeAnne March 26, 2013 at 3:18 pm

Parallel lives: our pictures are this week, and I looked at Daniel this morning and noticed he has this weird dryness/rash/scabby thing going on under his lip. Awesome!

Beth Anne March 26, 2013 at 4:42 pm

RASH BUNNY PICTURES FOREVER.

Suz March 26, 2013 at 3:25 pm

LOL! That’s hilarious. And cute because really it’s Hibby!

Heather March 26, 2013 at 3:28 pm

Oh my goodness. Your caption just made that the best thing ever. You know what? Not all precious moments have perfect skin. So there.

Stacey March 26, 2013 at 3:34 pm

This is just hilarious! I have never heard of schools doing this before – I don’t have a kid though so perhaps that has something to do with it.
This will be great at his high school graduation :)

Stacey March 26, 2013 at 3:35 pm

P.S. For what it’s worth I didn’t even notice the rash… The fact he’s holding (clutching) a bunny is distraction enough :)

Beth Anne March 26, 2013 at 4:42 pm

CLUTCHING.

That is the only word appropriate for what he is doing to that bunny.

Emily March 26, 2013 at 4:26 pm

No lie, I thin I just peed my pants a little. After reading this I went back to the pony incident, hysterical! I love your take on life and finding the comedy in everything:)

Jess March 26, 2013 at 5:17 pm

I’m just amazed that they think toddler children and bunnies are a good idea. Because 1) my kid would probably stick her finger in the rabbit’s mouth and get bit, 2) poke the rabbit in the eye, 3) get shit on, by said rabbit, or 4) drop said rabbit and it would ….not be well.

But alright then. He’s smiling, so there’s that. If you’re gonna keep it real, keep it real. Just like the screaming grabbing for dear life Easter Bunny pictures.

Elisa March 26, 2013 at 6:04 pm

i just can’t get over how much he looks like DOUG!!!!

samantha March 26, 2013 at 6:05 pm

I’m going to give you the best skin advise ever for kids- coconut oil. cold pressed or extra virgin (yup found in the food isle) coconut oil is AMAZING! also you can put a small blob on a q-tip and put in around the inside of the nose to help combat congestion and to help keep away a sinus infection. its also great and healthy for cooking! but i use it on my son to help with his cradle cap and other dry skin issues. its antibacterial, antiviral, and antifungal!

Babe_Chilla March 26, 2013 at 6:50 pm

He’s so stinking cute in that “what a little man” way. Love!

Now, I so do NOT want to be THAT person but, do you think maybe the sickness/rash was actually impetigo and not the wash? I only say that b/c it looks and sounds SO much like when Everly had it, and it started with a cold. Regardless it doesn’t matter and I’m not suggesting you try the CVS stuff again “just to see” because I know you’re not insane but, ya, just a wondering (you probably totally went to the doctor and all that and I’m being THAT girl on your blog right now but I’m tired and travelling for work and time zones, so I’ve lost a little common sense).

Beth Anne March 27, 2013 at 9:27 am

Girl, you know you could never be that person.

POSITIVE it’s the wash. He’s never had anything like that until then + new wash = face explosion. Then it started clearing up even with the first wash of Burt’s Bees & Aquaphor.

He comes by it honestly from his momma – my skin explodes at certain stuff.

Amber March 26, 2013 at 8:39 pm

It takes a lot ot make me laugh out loud, but this post did it. I love your sense of humor! What a cute kiddo (rash and all!) :)

Jennifer March 27, 2013 at 10:11 am

This is too funny. Sometimes I think we have the same little boy. I hope his leprosy clears up soon.

Brandi March 27, 2013 at 10:47 am

He looks alot like Doug in this picture!

Jessica March 27, 2013 at 12:09 pm

He’s a tiny, bunny holding, rash covered Doug.

I die!

Erin @ Blue-Eyed Bride March 27, 2013 at 1:45 pm

Everything about this post makes me giggle! And nothing about that photo makes any sense. Ha! Except for sweet little Harrison. Love him!

Jessica @ This Blessed Life March 27, 2013 at 2:24 pm

literally laughing out loud over here. awesome.

Andrea March 27, 2013 at 2:31 pm

Crying laughing! Sorry, not bc of the rash but bc of the way you presented it. Love your sense of humor!

Andrea

beth March 27, 2013 at 3:49 pm

HILARIOUS…what is their weird obsession with pets in pictures and are you sure this isn’t doug circa 1985?

Christina March 27, 2013 at 10:32 pm

and here I thought this was an ad for why they should test proactive on bunnies.. so this poor boys premature acne can be cleared.
LOL!
A rabbit and rash face! Memories!

Therese March 28, 2013 at 9:59 am

Dude, Hibby has massive amounts of hair! I bet the girls in his class are totally jealous of his locks!

Why do little boys always have beautiful hair & long eyelashes? Not fair!

Jaime March 28, 2013 at 1:04 pm

This entire post cracked me up, as in trying to control myself at my desk so I don’t get fired. Thank you, BA! I still think Hibby looks supercute.

The Many Thoughts of a Reader April 1, 2013 at 9:32 pm

I think he’s plotting to dump a bunny on your head while you sleep.

suzanne April 2, 2013 at 3:42 pm

Adore him! And his rash! School pictures wouldn’t be nearly as awesome if they were perfect, right? :) Sophie wouldn’t smile at all. Not even Oreo the Bunny could change that. But we bought prints anyway because momma’s a sucker.

Laura April 3, 2013 at 9:58 am

I can relate. Liam would have nothing to do with the bunnies. He repeatedly told the photographer he wanted to hold the OTHER bunny (no idea what that means!). I was really bummed out because I finally got him to wear a sweater vest . . . and yet, no picture!

erin April 3, 2013 at 3:35 pm

i just wish we were friends in real life. Cause you crack me up. I’ve been reading forever, commenting seldom to none. Can’t believe how big your little man is :)

Jasmine April 8, 2013 at 6:41 pm

LOL. Rash bunny.

Amy April 8, 2013 at 8:24 pm

Oh. My. God. That picture. I’ve been giggling. Poor Hibby! Show that to his prom date if he decides to have a smart mouth that night. Ha! :-)

Julia Reed April 10, 2013 at 2:27 am

They both are so sweet) I’m certain that spending time with animals can be good for kids if they understand that we are responsible for whom we tamed.

Laura November 8, 2013 at 11:57 am

hahahaha

okay.. so, sorry for creeping on your blog. first, I posted a comment on your ‘Meet BA’ and now I can’t stop reading your posts.

Grand. Grand, I tell you.