Things I like that nobody else likes

by Beth Anne on February 27, 2013

favorites Things I like that nobody else likes

|  Brick kitchen floors  |

It’s like the people that make tile don’t even know that Pinterest exists. Doug & I decided that we wanted brick-looking tile in our kitchen/pantry/laundry & guess what? Nobody makes it without having to order six months our or mortgage it with your first-born. We haven’t found anything that we like to substitute brick, so we’re holding off & saving our pennies. It is miserable being a responsible adult sometimes.

|  The Day After Tomorrow  |

If you’ve never seen this movie, the basic plot line is this: we humans destroyed the Earth with our bad pollution, so this massive snow hurricane of death & destruction comes across the entire northern hemisphere & causes flooding & ice age weather. Like, your ass is going to freeze solid the moment you step outside but that’s only if you don’t have a basic backpacking tent or a drafty library. Then you’re cool & get to survive & ride in a hellicopter in the end. Oh, & baby-face Jake Gyllenhaal is in it with the Phantom of the Opera chick & duh, of course he gets the girl by saving her from wolves aboard a battleship. You can file every single thing in the movie under “Things That Would Never Happen Unless You Did Meth” but it still tops my favorite movies, right up there with Pride & Prejudice.

|  Camp shirts from Old Navy  |

They’re not flattering but they are really, really damn comfy. & they’re cool while covering all my wobbly bits, so they’re my go-to in the summer with rolled cuffs & a pair of shorts. Get ready, Summer 2013. Old Navy Talls be comin’ at you.

|  Taylor Swift  |

oh, man. I love me some Swifty. Probably because she writes everything that’s still in my journal from when I was 15 years old, except she left high school with a multi-million dollar record deal & I left it with straight A’s in Advanced Placement US History. She’s no Adele on the vocals, but that means I can sing right along & sound just as good & that is fantastic for my car solo career. I also like to get on tangents about how Taylor probably isn’t a slut because yeah, she’s written songs about a bunch of different dudes but I was the Queen Virgin of my friends & I still had roughly 5-10 boys I could easily write songs about. Including one relationship that spanned every emotion from lust to love to utter despise & hatred.

|  Cauliflower  |

It’s not that other people don’t like cauliflower, it’s just that they don’t hold it in the same regard that I do. That regard being ALL CAULIFLOWER, ALL THE TIME. I could eat it breakfast, lunch, & dinner every day & not get sick of it. It finally got to the point that Doug the Anti-Vegetable Man started eating it because it was like, cauliflower or starve.

Johanna February 27, 2013 at 3:21 pm

My grandmother had a massive tree growing in the middle of her house. The room around it was all brick. Loved it. I also like Day After Tomorrow, but the rest, you’re on your own. :)

jussy February 27, 2013 at 3:43 pm

that sounds crazy and awesome. i’m with you BA on 1, 3 and 4.

Hillary February 27, 2013 at 3:28 pm

Hilariousness!! Love the shirt so much and the rest….meh. :) I had to laugh because just the other day I drug out my old AP history study guide book (all 600 pages of it) so that Graham would stop his complaining about just how much homework he had.

xoxox

Meg February 27, 2013 at 3:43 pm

Have you had pureed cauliflower? Steam/Boil/Roast/Whatever it with a few cloves of garlic, put it in the blender with a tiny bit of milk/yogurt/sourcream/whatever hasn’t curdled, throw in a bit of salt and pepper, puree the daylights out of it and it is like the creamiest, bestest, slightly sweet mashed potatoes ever. My new favorite love.

Dawn February 27, 2013 at 3:49 pm

You are so totally not alone on Taylor Swift!

Toni :O) February 27, 2013 at 3:49 pm

Well, I like 3, 4 and 5! Old Navy just rocks as far as clothing for the whole family goes. We are taking my almost ten year old daughter to see Taylor Swift, it will be her first concert and BOTH her Dad and I are taking her. Should be a night to remember I’m sure! Cauliflower….mmmm, my favorite is the raw kind dipped in a favorite dressing, it’s awesome and I could eat it all day long! See? You aren’t that alone in stuff you like, yay!

Megan February 27, 2013 at 3:49 pm

I love Taylor Swift. I don’t get why people hate on her so much, or any celebrity for that matter. If you don’t like them, acknowledge it and move it. Why is it just a great think to diss on celebrities?

Andrea February 27, 2013 at 3:49 pm

LOVE all of them too! The camp shirts are amazing and my 3-year old daughter totally walks around the house singing, “Never, ever, ever getting “pack” together”!

Kimberly February 27, 2013 at 4:13 pm

Have you looked into brick pavers. Back when I worked in the tile business they were running about $5-$8. a square foot which is really reasonable for basksplash tile!

Kimberly February 28, 2013 at 8:38 pm

Uhh..I am a dummy. I just realized you said Kitchen FLOOR. Just to put my 2 cents in…DON’T do it. It is sooo sooo sooo hard to keep clean. We had a small 20 sf place on the floor in our old showroom that was done in brick. It was HORRIBLE to keep clean. Like get on your hands and knees with a hard bristle brush hard and then it only stay clean looking for a day. Ok. that is all. :)

Kristin @ What She Said February 27, 2013 at 4:25 pm

I disagree – The Day After Tomorrow could TOTALLY happen. In fact, every time I hear about crazy, extreme weather on the news, I tell my husband, “It’s just like The Day After Tomorrow!” That’s how it began – with tornadoes and shit in LA. I’m just saying.

Also, I like that movie. And brick floors. But I’m kind of over Taylor Swift (except for Fifteen – that’s a great song).

Jenn R February 27, 2013 at 5:08 pm

I can’t get with you on the floors. What a pain to keep clean! And your feet are going to hurt so bad when you make a cake! No. Can’t support it.

Jenny February 27, 2013 at 5:24 pm

Try Pioneer Woman’s cauliflower soup! Best thing ever!

dena February 27, 2013 at 5:29 pm

The way you feel about cauliflower? I feel the same about brussels sprouts. Stop shaking your head…they’re delicious!

Kylee February 27, 2013 at 5:29 pm

I’m totally on board with the brick pavers.

Maybe try a re-claimed, Habitat for Humanity type place? Potentially cheaper?

I just can’t get on board about Swift and cauliflower. But I do love radishes, does that count?

samantha February 27, 2013 at 5:45 pm

you can keep #2 and #4 and i will share the love of 1,3,5 with you!

Kami February 27, 2013 at 5:45 pm

I love me some Taylor Swift! And I literally JUST bought an Old Navy camp shirt the other day :)

Arnebya February 27, 2013 at 5:48 pm

I think the brick would be too cold in winter (because I hate my hardwood and tile in winter so I’m assuming brick would be coldER. I like the way it LOOKS though.) Oh, but I bet it’d be soooo sooo warmy and comfy in summer (since it’s indoors and not outside because sometimes, brick outside at the height of summer barefoot is like OUCH OUCH LEMME RUN.) I liked that movie and find it totally plausible. Cauliflower is OK occasionally but it’s not an all day every day desire for me (like, say BRUSSELS SPROUTS BECAUSE MMMMMMM.)

Breenah February 27, 2013 at 6:56 pm

Call me nobody then! Other than the shirts, because buttons ups and I just do not get along, I like all these things too. And now I want some cauliflower.
The brick floor is new to me, but I like it.

Megan B February 27, 2013 at 8:57 pm

LOVE the brick floors. Love. Like The Day After Tomorrow and those camp shirts. Taylor and cauliflower? Not so much. :) But I like this post. Fun.

Leigh Ann February 27, 2013 at 10:07 pm

I dig all but #2 and #4. Hiding squishy parts for the win!

Carey petkoff February 27, 2013 at 10:31 pm

My parents have brick pavers in their kitchen and laundry room and it looks really good. They went with pavers instead of brick because of the major price difference. You would never know the difference.

Kelli G February 27, 2013 at 11:26 pm

Ohhhh camp shirts. Yes, yes, YES!! My sister tells me that I look like a lumberjack. I tell her I’ve been practicing my logrolling.

Brandy February 28, 2013 at 1:57 am

My momma put split brick in the kitchen 15 years ago. After 5 years she.still loved it so damn much she did the foyer, living room, dining room and hall. It STILL LOOKS GOOD. It never looks dirty. Survived my adolescence and now a grandson with no cracks or chips or scratches. It was expensive but has paid for itself with longevity and zero maintenance. I will have it in my house as soon as my itty-bitties no longer have fragile craniums and chronic clumsiness.

Megan February 28, 2013 at 10:51 am

I left The Day After Tomorrow freezing my tooshie off. Thankfully it was the middle of the summer and I warmed up once I stepped outside. That is too much ice in one movie.

Have you seen the Taylor Swift song Trouble with the Screaming Sheep? You must look it up on You Tube. HILARIOUS!! Well, my husband doesn’t think so but I laugh every time.

And am I the only one that finds it weird that I’m the 3rd Megan (or 4th if you include the Meg) that has commented on this post?

Lauren February 28, 2013 at 11:25 am

I do love cauliflower and could eat it raw for every meal. I also like it whipped, roasted and as a pizza crust! And I have a brick floor in my kitchen and l didn’t know anybody else liked it, as it came with the old house we bought. I’ve learned to love it, but it must be swept all the time because of those damn crevices. And let’s be real–T. Swift is a lot of people’s guilty pleasure listening!

Nikki February 28, 2013 at 12:40 pm

I’m totally with 2 and 4, feeling like I should maybe head to Old Navy after work to check out #3…!

Lindsey February 28, 2013 at 12:51 pm

T-Swift for life!

Mari February 28, 2013 at 12:52 pm

I was born in AZ and my aunt’s house was entirely brick floors with a high polish. It was gorgeous. Also went with the hacienda style of the home. I would love brick floors too but now living in KY too much climate issues to deal with. Those floors would be effin cold in the winter. Good luck on your search!

rachel February 28, 2013 at 2:25 pm

“It’s like the people that make tile don’t even know that Pinterest exists.”

seriously, marry me.

i can’t take it…..god, i needed that today….

& T. Swift? i don’t care if nobody likes her but us….the love is strong, my friend. my heart is true.

Jessica @ The SB Boy Mom February 28, 2013 at 4:58 pm

We want exposed brick walls in our next kitchen, but it’s so expensive!! We’ll likely be faking it with some kind of brick tile, but I doubt that will be any cheaper, either! Oh well, one day!

Rici February 28, 2013 at 8:56 pm

Knew we were friends for a reason. I LOVE The Day After Tomorrow. Anything that has any kind of natural disaster in it and I’m game…not really sure what that says about me though. Also, a big whopping YES to the brick being beautiful…You be that responsible adult, BA, suck it up and BE that responsible adult.

Jamee February 28, 2013 at 9:50 pm

Here I thought I was the only one who loved The Day After Tomorrow! Love that movie! It is in my lineup regularly during flares! Never considered brick for kitchen flooring but I have to say I like the look!

Katie Shannon March 1, 2013 at 10:52 am

I love Taylor Swift too. Sometimes I think I’m 27, I really should not love her music as much as I do, but whatever I love it! And cauliflower, umm, it’s my favorite veggie!

Carly March 1, 2013 at 1:23 pm

My favorite veg to make is roasted cauliflower with garlic sea salt and olive oil. Yummm. My husband often finds me in the kitchen trying to get all the last bits of roasted goodness and salt off the foil with my finger before cleaning up. Its pretty much my crack.

Jessica March 4, 2013 at 4:02 pm

YES. And sometimes, when I’m being a little naughty, a little fresh parmesan grated over the top before roasting. Amazing.

Vikki March 3, 2013 at 2:24 pm

Cauliflower……ewwwwww.

Please…I beg you to tell me how to make those collage thingies…..xo

Sarah July 1, 2013 at 8:55 pm

“We’ve reached a critical desalinization point.” <– my favorite quote from Day After Tomorrow. Best used during the climax of a toddler meltdown.

Also, cauliflower pizza is legit. What can't you do with cauliflower? Nothing, it's a wonder-veg.
Proof: "Cauliflower is nothing but cabbage with a college education." – Mark Twain