This has been a really weird day.

by Beth Anne on February 18, 2013

I knew I was in for it when Doug woke me up at 6:30am to say that the fridge was about to catch on fire. So we brewed coffee while we unplugged the beast & packed all the eggs & milk to be stored in Doug’s work fridge. He made a few phone calls to buddies in the business & we crossed our fingers that the flaming red & sizzling coil was just normal defrost. Turns out it’s not & his buddies were all RUN AWAY FROM IT.  So we’ll be fridge shopping tonight. Replacing the coil on a 20-year-old fridge isn’t really our jam since it doesn’t even make ice & the door is almost broken, but it does seem to have ESP because just last night I was telling my mom that we needed it to hold out another year.

Money Pit: 6,021.  BA & Doug: 0

Then Harry dropped his beloved Hank (the giraffe blankie) in the toilet, so Hank is now on a steralizing spin cycle.

Then he was all, “I want to stay home with you, Momma!” & I reminded him how much fun school is & that I go to work to make money & he’s all, “NO, daddies go to work to make money.” I’m glad we were running late thanks to Hank’s swan dive because I was about to launch into a feminist lecture to my three-year-old. Instead, he’s happily at preschool & I’m nibbling on some yogurt for lunch at my desk.

If the day couldn’t get any more weird, my phone dinged with an email as I parked at work & it’s Babble & they’re all CALL US ASAP. Turns out CNN & Raising America loved my post on making cheerleading a sport, so they had me on-air for today’s show to chat. I’m just thankful it was a phone call & not face-time because a) straight hair & b) no makeup. (At almost thirty, I should really start wearing makeup every day. It’s kind of like how you always wear nice underwear because you never know if you’ll end up in the ER & you wouldn’t want to be caught in granny panties with holes in them.) Turns out a picture of me from high school was on national television & the seventeen year old in me is all “SEE?! WE KNEW THIS SHIT WOULD HAPPEN. WHY DIDN’T YOU PLUCK YOUR EYEBROWS?”

collage1 1024x256 This has been a really weird day.

& look, I don’t want to do spoilers although by now you should know that I am the queen of spoilers (hello, I read the last few pages of every book before I begin) but OH MY GOD, JULIAN FELLOWES. I might have to break up with you over last night’s finale of Downton.

The end.

Hey, how was your weekend? How’s your Monday?

Rebecca February 18, 2013 at 2:19 pm

Bummer about the fridge :( Ours pooped out a couple years ago and it was a hit to the wallet but I love our “fridge on top” stainless guy so it ended up being ok :)

Becky @ From Ministry to Motherhood February 18, 2013 at 2:49 pm

That sucks about the fridge. You’ll have fun shopping for a new one though. We’re in the process right now of looking as ours is about to die {though hopefully not in a red coiled rage} and I’ve enjoyed seeing all there is now.

P.S. – Loved Downton until there very end and I was like “WHAT?” Seriously twisted…

Desiree February 18, 2013 at 3:28 pm

My parents’ fridge has a ghost in it. Every now and then it’ll be all “ohhhhhhhh ahhhhhhh oooooohhh” and while its seriously creepy at night I find it really amusing during the day.

Meghan February 18, 2013 at 3:28 pm

We were supposed to close on our house on Thursday, so I planned on spending the weekend cleaning. I know, so fun to have black bathtubs up to your elbow and years worth of other people’s nasty food crap in the oven to clean. But, I was looking forward to almost getting out of my in laws house. But nooo. There is a lien on the house due to the former douches not paying their HOA fees.

Amy February 18, 2013 at 3:30 pm

Aaahhhhh! You are for real my hero. SO PROUD! I’m sure you rocked it! Let’s get lunch this week to celebrate! Sorry about the fridge. That blows.

Ciara February 18, 2013 at 3:49 pm

Glad to know I am not the only one who reads the end of the book first. :) Happy fridge shopping!

christa February 18, 2013 at 3:58 pm

When our fridge died, my husband noticed because the beer was warm.

Cari February 18, 2013 at 4:14 pm

WTF Downton!?!?!?! Way to make me stay up an hour past my bedtime and then throw that on me!!! Maybe that’s why I am in such a horrible mood today.. ;)

I’m going to have to look up the interview!!!

Melanie February 18, 2013 at 5:06 pm

So I was just reading your cheerleader post and thought of a book you might enjoy. Dare Me by Megan Abbott. Total cheerleading insanity written in a bit of a poetic voice. Twisted.

KeAnne February 18, 2013 at 5:12 pm

How awesome about CNN! Good for you! Yeah, Monday has been very much a Monday today. And, WTF Julian Fellowes? WTF!

Arnebya February 18, 2013 at 5:15 pm

HOLY SHIT. Never EVER say aloud your thoughts about the house or appliances. Ever. The minute you speak it…BAM!

And YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY for you! Also, hot damn. That level of notice is so very cool. Get ready for more. And maybe do your eyebrows and find some hot rollers for the you never know days.

Kellie February 18, 2013 at 5:26 pm

I just read the post on cheerleading and I agree 100%! The athletic trainer at my daughters school said cheerleaders are the toughest athletes that she has and that it always made the other coaches mad when she says that, but she’s right. I have seen a girl head butt another girl in the face so hard you could hear it, throw up while holding a stunt, twist things, break things and they keep on going until that 2 min and 30 seconds is up! Then they are treated like what they do isn’t hard or important and they don’t need new mats etc. Annoys me.

Laura Case February 18, 2013 at 5:28 pm

I feel like I need to explain myself so that I’m not some big twitter complainer about Downton!

So..the night Sybil died, I planned to watch. Instead I was on the phone with my BFF of 20 years, Irene. About a month ago, her 2 year old got diagnosed with and had surgery for a malignant brain tumor. Brain fucking cancer. When he finally woke from surgery, they found out he is in a vegetative state where his eyes are open and he can hear them but is mute and has no motor control. You can not even make up something this horrible.

This is the time of year when my husband’s work travel is always at its worst, and every week as my friend has gotten worse and worse news, we’ve had to have the “do you want me to cancel my trip?” conversation and I keep saying, “I have a plan to keep my shit together.” It’s involved calling friends, getting them to come sit at my house with me, and leaning on people in ways I had no idea I’d have to lean on them. Ever.

I didn’t realize it but being able to peacefully watch Downton with a glass of wine on those nights when I’ve been alone was one of the things helping me keep my shit together.

Joann February 18, 2013 at 9:07 pm

You make me smile, BA. It’s just how life goes. My parents always lived a high-drama, high-pressure life and I vowed to have a “white picket fence” existence. Things are not quite going according to plan, probably because life is…just life. Hang in there on the fridge!

Christina February 18, 2013 at 10:30 pm

I don’t know man, I’m starting to think you need to smudge that house.
if you don’t know what smudging is, google it. and then do it.

The Many Thoughts of a Reader February 18, 2013 at 10:33 pm

Seriously, house stuff just hits and hits. At stupid times.

ruthy February 18, 2013 at 11:52 pm

we just bought a fixer upper…the money pit is definitely winning (and will be for awhile). And i was a cheerleader too…and YES! its definitely a sport. If it’s televised on ESPN its a sport.

Katie February 19, 2013 at 1:09 am

I can strongly recommend Samsung refrigerators (& washers, dryers, hdtvs). I hope you find/found what you need and get a good deal, too.

Lauren February 19, 2013 at 2:18 am

Okay…I am totally with you on Downton…except after the show, and after pillow pounding, sobbing and some maybe overly dramatic pleas to the Lord to bring him back, I Googled the why of it all. And you know what I found out? It wasn’t Julian Fellowes at all…he’s not responsible for Sybil, either. The show was originally optioned for 3 seasons and both actors wanted out. Dan Stevens is to blame for my life clearly being over.

Lindsay February 19, 2013 at 9:35 am

We are on day 4 of no working shower. We thought it would be a great idea to re-caulk our (one) bathtub last weekend, which has now turned into demolishing a wall, my husband re-plumbing the entire thing, followed by drywall and tile. Oh, and I also have no washing machine because he had to turn off the water to the shower, which conveniently happens to be the same line that goes to the washer. And we cloth diaper. And my in-laws are coming tomorrow. I hope they enjoy the shower wall sitting on the front porch.

Tarah February 19, 2013 at 9:37 am

Our money pit has about the same win counts as yours. Including a fridge. Ours just stopped working on us. RIGHT after I went on a “we need to restock the fridge so let’s spend a zillion dollars” shopping spree. The bright point, I finally got the fridge I had been drooling over for years. The low point…we’re still paying off said fridge. Rats.

Aleta February 19, 2013 at 11:58 am

OMG Downton. WTF is up with these actors (Sybil and now Matthew… whatever their names are, it’s not important now that they LEFT) thinking they can just up and leave the show? How could you leave a gig with such success, not to mention you get to play dress up everyday and chill in a damn castle? What are these people thinking? Damn it.
“Lil Chap”. I died.

Amy February 19, 2013 at 2:49 pm

You are freaking hilarious. Never stop writing.

Erin February 20, 2013 at 2:39 pm

Cool you were on national TV! And I laughed at ‘feminist lecture’ – it’s important that our kids know that dads AND moms can have awesome careers! Good for you, girl.

The Many Thoughts of a Reader February 20, 2013 at 10:16 pm

I’m just going to blame you for my fridge making funky noises.