Per usual, life happens like a freight train.

by Beth Anne on January 24, 2013

First, THANK YOU from my tip-toes for all of your help on migraines. I just hate how many of us know what it’s like because, HELL.  I saw the doctor & she thinks it is mostly hormonal. I’m already on the lowest level of hormones in birth control pill history, aka Loestrin 24, which means that the next step down is an IUD.  She prescribed Imitrex & wants me to also take magnesium supplements. If this doesn’t work, we’ll move me to a full “active pack” of birth control where there is no sugar pill.  I’m sure the insurance company is going to looove that one.

Of course, the moment my head cleared up, Harrison decided to be the world’s! best! sharer! of the crud.  Doug & I both got it so it’s me against Man Cold x 2.  I’m not sure where Harrison learned it other than the secret man-meetings that must occur where they also decide to take 45 minutes to poop & how portabella mushrooms burgers are not actual food, but the other night he weakly called out that he would need “a small sip of water” after declaring that he could no longer take off his own shoes & socks.

Don’t worry, the boys are surviving. They created a pallet of man-sick on the floor & managed to get down some soup & Thomas the Train.

mancold 1024x764 Per usual, life happens like a freight train.

I have taken the more practical approach of simply living life with a Vicks-soaked tissue shoved into my nose.

Apparently we have a winter mix coming tomorrow where it’s going to be 26 degrees & the only thing we North Carolinians have as defense are salt-brined roads & back-up milk in the fridge. Hang on to your bonnets, folks.

mancold2 1024x764 Per usual, life happens like a freight train.

angela king January 24, 2013 at 12:06 pm

hope you all feel better very soon! also, i feakin’ love the new blog look. it’s amazingly awesome.

Beth Anne January 24, 2013 at 3:15 pm

thank you!!!

Meghan January 24, 2013 at 12:11 pm

We’re just getting over the crud, too. We had a lovely round of the stomach flu. :-( Praying and hoping my hubby doesn’t get it, cause he’s one of the worst when it comes to “man-colds.” LOL! He actually told me yesterday when I asked him to help me bring something up to our bed so I could snuggle down and not vomit… he said in a whimpering voice “can you act like you’re not gonna die??” Uh… why do men get special treatment but we don’t?? I’m just lucky that we’re currently living with the in-laws. My mother in law was awesome yesterday and took care of Mackenzie for me. Being an adult with a kid while sick SUCKS monkey balls!

Hope you all feel better soon!

Beth Anne January 24, 2013 at 3:15 pm

I told Doug that it really hurt my feelings yesterday when he didn’t ask me how I was feeling after I had offered to get him medicine, a drink, etc. So this morning when he kissed me goodbye he was like, “I have something really important to ask you. HOW ARE YOU FEELING?” I told him he’s lucky he’s so damn cute.

KeAnne January 24, 2013 at 12:19 pm

Ugh. I hope you all feel better soon. That would be how I spent my Christmas vacation. Is it just me or does anyone else wonder about throwing a turkey on a salt-brined road and seeing if it will flavor it? Now I’m picturing turkeys covering all the roads in the Triangle.

Arnebya January 24, 2013 at 12:33 pm

I hope the sick leaves soon. We have yet to succumb to it really badly (just a bit of an Is This Flu, This Isn’t Flu, Is This Flu, Maybe This Is Flu, Who Cares – We All Feel Like Crap.) Also, I should buy stock in Lysol.

Separately, I like your newest layout changes.

Beth Anne January 24, 2013 at 3:14 pm

Maybe this is the flu. Oh, I feel better. Now I feel worse. No, this is definitely the flu. But now I feel even worse so maybe that wasn’t the flu before…

girl, I hear that thought process. Breathe through masks!

Kayla January 24, 2013 at 12:42 pm

Random and not at all related to your post. How do you keep the dog hair to a minimum with Tuck in the house? Does H just eat it? Serious question. I have a lab and a 3 year old. I’m going insane.

Beth Anne January 24, 2013 at 3:13 pm

OMG “Does H just eat it?” made me laugh out loud. That is fantastic.

In the winter, we are really lucky – Tuck just doesn’t shed in the winter. It’s weird because she’s a German Shepherd/Collie mix, so that’s a lot of hair. Maybe it’s the coarse shepherd hair? We got her in October 2006 & we were all WE HAVE A BIONIC DOG THAT DOESN’T SHED! because we never saw a loose dog hair for 5 months. Then March & warmer weather hit & it started. In the warmer months, I just vacuum a ton. I have a Dyson Animal that works fine & I really prefer my Oreck over it since the Oreck has bags – it traps the hair better. We have a furminator to get the loose hair off, but we’re not great at doing that. Mostly I just vacuum a lot with a bagged vacuum – it seems to have made a big difference!

Kristin @ What She Said January 24, 2013 at 12:51 pm

Also conducted at those secret man-meetings is the memorization of every rule to every sport that’s ever existed dating back to the first Olympics in Rome. Except cricket. Nobody can figure out cricket.

And I laughed at “pallet of man-sick.” I did.

Beth Anne January 24, 2013 at 3:10 pm

YES. THIS.

Emma January 24, 2013 at 1:26 pm

There’s actually an even lower estrogen version, LoLoestrin FE. Loestrin 24 has 20 mcg of estrogen, the LoLoestrin has only 10. Good luck.

Beth Anne January 24, 2013 at 3:10 pm

Seriously?? I wonder why my doctor didn’t mention that. Thanks!! She was pushing the IUD pretty hard, but I just don’t think it’s for me right now.

Jaime January 24, 2013 at 1:27 pm

I did a review once on the blog for this stuff called Natural Calm. Google the product for some info, but basically it is a powder magnesium supplement (I have the raspberry lemonade flavor) that is very easily absorbed. I think you might like it (and they work with bloggers). I swear when I take a magnesium supplement I feel better, both physically and mentally. I hope you find the same.

I hope everyone feels better soon.

Beth Anne January 24, 2013 at 3:09 pm

Thanks, lady! Heading over now to read your review….

Shaina January 24, 2013 at 2:43 pm

A warning about magnesium – it’s a natural laxative. Yeah. So look for chelated magnesium, it won’t give you the runs, which is a bonus.

I tried magnesium and feverfew, with no results, but hopefully it helps you out.

Beth Anne January 24, 2013 at 3:09 pm

BEST BIT OF ADVICE EVER. Thank you!

samantha January 24, 2013 at 3:26 pm

i so called that with the magnesium! and take it with a caclium pill or chew they work together as a natural muscle relaxer (not so much as a rx but enough to help blood flow) it will help a bunch :) my husband gets the worst man colds ever! good thing he only get one or two a year!

Beth Anne January 24, 2013 at 4:29 pm

You did!!! She said magnesium & I was like, “That’s EXACTLY what…ummm… a friend! told me!”

Kellie January 24, 2013 at 3:32 pm

I am in SC and we are expecting just the ice part of the wintery mix. After the gulley washer rains ALL week last week I am going to be pissed if we get iced in.
My husband doesn’t do the man sick thing, but the 45 minutes to poop 2-3 times a day…I mean for real?

Ashley January 24, 2013 at 3:33 pm

Omg that 45 minute poop thing is normal for males??? This is one thing that drives me BANANAS about my husband! Seriously! I should not have to plan my schedule around your digestive tract and when you may not be able to watch the baby due to your date with Sudoku on the throne. WTF???

Beth Anne January 24, 2013 at 4:28 pm

woooooorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrd.

Kellie January 24, 2013 at 3:33 pm

*gully…will I ever learn to read before I hit the submit button..I guess not. ;)

Amy January 24, 2013 at 4:01 pm

Seriously?! Why do men take 45 min. to poop? Me: sit on commode & poop. 2 min tops. Him: 45 fucking minutes of Angry Birds.

Hope you all get to feeling well and Doug can clean up the pallet of man-sick. Love you!

Amanda January 24, 2013 at 4:15 pm

I love harry’s hair cut. He looks so big.

Heather January 24, 2013 at 4:35 pm

I pinned these instructions for making magnesium lotion awhile back–your body absorbs the magnesium without the bowel side effects! (And cheaper to mix it up yourself if you have a health food store nearby than to buy it in pill form, I bet). http://www.modernalternativemama.com/blog/2012/12/17/monday-health-wellness-magnesium-lotion/#.UQGZAGcuh5c

Also, I think IUDs are the best thing ever–but obviously if you are hoping to get pregnant in less than a year it’s probably not worth the price if you don’t have insurance coverage. After Baby #2, though, seriously consider! I’ve used the copper (non-hormonal version) IUD our whole marriage and it’s the best! I hate having to take pills, and avoid hormone interference if I can.

Natalie January 24, 2013 at 6:55 pm

I work in a pharmacy in SC and if your insurance doesn’t want to pay for an “active pill only” BC like seasonique (or it’s generic), ask your doctor to simply right for whatever “normal” birth control you decide to use and in the directions say “take continuously.” The pharmacy will see this and realize you only take the active pills and will fill a normal #28 count pack as a #21 day supply. Hope this makes sense! If you have any questions just let me know!

Alisha January 24, 2013 at 7:13 pm

hope you all feel better soon! I am in love with that beautiful white headboard :)

Kim January 24, 2013 at 7:36 pm

I, too, was going to mention Lo/Loestrin FE. As Emma mentioned, it’s 10mcg of Estrogen. Also more active pills resulting in super light period or none at all. I hope whatever you decide will provide some relief to you very soon!

Maija @ Maija's Mommy Moments January 24, 2013 at 9:42 pm

Would it make you feel better if I told you this weekend is supposed to be -30C with the windchill which is somewhere in the neighborhood of -22F / in American. Oh and my son has outdoor hockey!

Camille January 25, 2013 at 2:42 am

I just started getting the worst hormone migraines. The only thing that has worked for me was changing my birth control and excedrine migraine which was pulled off the market. Ive been using Pamprin instead which is the only thing that will even touch the headache. Also, vitamin B.
Hope you start feeling better soon.:)

melissa johnson January 27, 2013 at 10:02 pm

BA…I had the SAME issue! I have no sugar pills because my doctor said I was having a type of ‘withdrawls” that was giving me the migrains! I am also on Imitrex and NEVER miss a pill…and if I do I get a headache (and not ready for round 2 of preggers!).

Mel January 29, 2013 at 12:06 pm

I didn’t read the comments on the migraine post, so I’m not sure if anyone mentioned this or not already. I just read an article about how botox helps for migraines. I’m pretty sure it is now an FDA approved procedure so maybe that will help you and not cost an arm and a leg!