BA versus her brain, Round 503.

by heirtoblair on January 21, 2013

IMG 0651 1024x765 BA versus her brain, Round 503.

I’ve been zero fun lately, fighting off migraines.

Quite honestly, losing weekly battles to migraines.

Yes, I am going to the doctor. Hopefully tomorrow, because momma needs something stronger than Excedrine & a cup of coffee. Migraines started for me during my senior year in high school (to the point of daily medication) but they died down by the end of college.  I’d get them a few times a year, but I had a no-fail solution – down two Excedrine with a huge glass of water, take a hot shower, then go to sleep.  But these migraines are laughing at my old no-fail remedy & I spent all of Sunday under the pillows in bed until I could finally keep down a smoothie.  I think it’s stress that is making them come back, along with birth control. But there’s that thing about me absolutely 100% not getting pregnant right now since my COBRA ends this summer, so coming off birth control really isn’t an option.

Then again, feeling like a hatchet is protruding from my right temple isn’t too much of an option either.

Do any of y’all get migraines? Have they come & gone through your life? Anything you swear by to make them go away?

April January 21, 2013 at 11:44 pm

I get them so bad I can’t see straight and vomit for hours. I put ice in a ziploc and put that on the back of my neck/head. A chiropractor showed me that trick and it works wonders for me! Hope you feel better! I’ve had migraines off and on the past few weeks too.

WynnsmommaMeghan January 21, 2013 at 11:48 pm

So sorry, they suck big time. I started getting them after college and get one about three times a year (likely stress and hormone related). I “luckily” get vision changes that come on about 45mins before the pain begins so I can pop an Advil migraine and head to bed. Sleep is all that really works for me. Hope others have better suggestions and you feel better soon!

Karri January 22, 2013 at 12:05 am

I’ve been getting them since I was 15 or 16. I am now 39. I’ve taken every medication out there for them. And for the past 8 years, I’ve been on Topamax, which I take daily to reduce the frequency and severity of them. And it works. Its not a miracle cure. But I get them less often and when I get them, they don’t leave me debilitated for days on end. I may have just an awful headache for 2-3 days, but nothing I can’t crawl through with some heavy advil and a coke (coke is reserved for migraines. it helps some)

Melodie January 22, 2013 at 12:11 am

I got them constantly in high school and college. Then, they seemed to disappear until I was pregnant with my son (who is only a week older than Harrison). I feel your pain. They are truly unbearable. Hang in there!

Melanie January 22, 2013 at 12:23 am

I used to get them more often. I think maybe eating cleaner has slowed them down. What works for me is Maxalt. It’s prescription medicine that you dissolve under your tongue and then you are almost human in about a half hour. Zero medicine head afterwards…no recuperating from the drugs that stopped the pain.

My daughter had some debilitating migraines. The Dr. mistakenly diagnosed it as a tumor (WTH? Not a good time for me). At any rate they gave her prednisolone to lower the swelling of the “mass.” It worked for her. And further testing determined there was no tumor. The Dr. had read the spinal tap wrong (grrr). The next year her headaches started again. We had luckily kept a headache diary and knew it was within a week of when they started the year before. Mom diagnosis=allergies. She was tested and sure enough it was a flowering pear tree that surrounded her new school. Who knew? Obviously, not the doctors!!

At any rate, isn’t this your first year in a new house with new plants around? Maybe, just maybe it might be your body’s way of dealing with an allergy.

Meg January 22, 2013 at 11:06 am

It’s funny how meds affect us differently. Maxalt gives me a bit of a medicine hangover. Still worth it, though!

Robyn January 24, 2013 at 12:28 pm

Oh, Maxalt gives me a huuuuge medicine hangover. I get all spacey and nonsensical. I try to avoid taking it as much as I can.

Kate January 26, 2013 at 7:56 pm

Me too! It’s worth it to take away the pain but I can’t really function much.

Caroline January 22, 2013 at 12:33 am

I tend to get a lot of tension headaches, when I feel them coming on I like to do the eagle pose (arms only) to help relieve some of the tension I get in my shoulders and neck. It is surprising how much it helps…

Melissa January 22, 2013 at 12:36 am

I got them terribly many years ago. Ask your doctor about birth control pills with little to no estrogen. That almost eliminated mine. (Did for many years.) after the kiddos, I’ve had a little more problems but not extremely bad. Once upon a time I took a daily migraine medicine prior to changing my BC. Hope you find some relief!!

Gretchen January 22, 2013 at 12:49 am

I get them :( Totally hormone related, none while I’m pregnant and off and on otherwise. Chiropractic has helped manage mine.

Lauran January 22, 2013 at 12:50 am

I have always had a problem with headaches. In my early 20s I started taking Excedrin, then upped to Excedrin Migraine after I had my first daughter. After having my second daughter, the migraines became worse. Nothing took the pain away. It got to the point where I would spend an entire day in bed, not able to move. After a lot of pushing from my mom, I went to see a chiropractor. I have never felt better. Not only have my migraines gone away, but my constant pain in my shoulder blade and upper back is gone. It took a few weeks to start feeling the affects, but now a year later, I am headache free as long as I keep up with my adjustments.

Stef January 22, 2013 at 1:11 am

Ugh. I’m so sorry– migraines are horrible. Mine are most often weather & hormone related and this front that has moved through in the past week has just about killed me. Like you, I start with Excedrin & water. I get a cup of coffee, I eat a piece of chocolate, I drink a coke. I put as much caffeine in my system as I can stand. I take an Imitrex. I take a hot shower. I put hot wash cloths on my face. Sometimes, I throw up. I’ve taken Percocet and Morphine for the pain & I’ve ended up in the ER for dehydration. It’s THE WORST and I hope that your doc can give you something else to make you feel better!!

Krystina January 22, 2013 at 1:11 am

When I get them, I take two Excedrin Migraine, drink some coffee or Coke, take a cool shower to lower my temperature and then lie down in a cool, dark room…usually with a fan on and a black eye mask over my eyes.

When I take the cool shower, I usually take it in the dark with only a huge peppermint scented candle for light.

Kyley Leger January 22, 2013 at 1:16 am

I get them but not as often as I used to. I did stop taking birth control but have no idea if that’s related. My recent favorites are heat packs on my neck. I always get a tension headache with my migraines if I can’t stop them quickly. I have a friend who attacks with caffeine – an aspirin, an Advil, and a mt dew. It helps until you can get to a dark place to sleep. The caffeine rush makes me loopy. When it’s just a headache I can sometimes end it with water. A neti pot has worked before. Basically, I try a bunch of things but sleeping it off is the only consistent.

Ali @thecoffeeqwwn January 22, 2013 at 1:39 am

My sister used to get them so awful in high school that they threatened to hold her back because she missed so much school. She cut out high sugar foods- soda and started seeing a chiropractor. She hasn’t had them since. I wish you all the luck in the world momma!

Katie January 22, 2013 at 1:50 am

I have seen a renowned migraine neurologist and have tried many preventative medications, with varying success, but the best thing has probably been Imitrex (taken as needed, at onset of migraine). Just a note on Imitrex, if your doctor sees it as a good option for you, make sure the prescription that is filled is for Sumatriptan, the generic for Imitrex. Imitrex can cost $49 per pill, while Sumatriptan is about $19 (if you have to pay a percentage of the cost or the whole prescription cost).

Rebecca January 22, 2013 at 2:15 am

My mom got migraines for YEARS. Started when she was in HS and continued into her late 30′s. a friend gave her some info about aspartame and she quit diet pop (soda) as an experiment. Headaches went away. Turns out diet pop came onto the market when she was in high school and, like all the other girls, she jumped on the bandwagon.

Not sure if you even drink diet pop or consume artificial sweetener but thought I’d throw it out there because I know migraines are devastating. Hope you figure out what will help you! ((Hugs))

michele January 22, 2013 at 2:27 am

my whole life – yes. i feel your pain (sadly, literally.)

mine are definitely hormonal in adulthood, and i am free of them when pg/breastfeeding (on my 3rd pregnancy now.)

before starting all the crazed procreation, i was on Imitrex at migraine onset. Miraculous. After starting popping out the kids, my Dr switched me to Maxalt (also to be taken at onset) which is more breastfeeding friendly. Also fabulous. (and without the small bit of migraine meds hangover I would sometimes feel from Imitrex.)

I highly recommend getting some sort of prescription. Having those pills on hand is literally a day-saver.

Feel better, mama BA.

Philippa January 22, 2013 at 3:47 am

I used to gt bad migraines: rich foods, stress, would cause them. I also turned out to get headaches and migraine with aura caused by aspartame too. So I’ve cut out all diet coke etc and have had minimal trouble since. Normally I’m able to treat with I ibuprofen but am considering trying maxalt melts as I’ve heard good things about them.

Trinity January 22, 2013 at 8:02 am

Unfortunately, I know your pain all too well.

I ended up being diagnosed with Moyamoya, which lead to two brain surgeries to help increase blood flow. Because all of my blood vessels are already as wide open as they get, I can’t take any of the standard stuff recommended. I have a rice pack [a tea towel with a pound of rice in it] that I keep in the freezer. When things get very bad, I take that out & rest it over my eyes while trying to take a nap. If that fails, I hide from the world or take something significantly stronger than Excedrin.

Hope the doctor is able to help you out!

The bonus is that rice bag also doubles as the best heating pad I’ve ever used.

Amanda January 22, 2013 at 8:38 am

I get bad ones. While I was pregnant they wouldn’t hurt but I would not be able to form words. They thought I was having strokes after weeks worth of tests they determined they were actually migraines. I have the hormone free IUD and have come to realize I get a migraine every single month when I ovulate. I can set my watch by it! Luckily Excedrin still works for me most of the time but oy I feel hungover for a day or two afterwards. I’m so sorry you are dealing with this. Migraines are so crippling!

Valerie January 22, 2013 at 8:45 am

I’ve had them since I was about 12, I’m now 32. The only thing that has helped me was getting tested for triggers. Turns out that preservatives are the biggest cause of mine (and many people). Once I knew and was able to stay away from foods with high level of preservatives I have minimized my migraines significantly. Might be worth a try. Good luck and hope something helps you soon!

Lindsay January 22, 2013 at 9:25 am

I’ve had them on and off since I was 7. Lucky for me, they actually seem better after having my son. Have you tried Head On? I’m actually not sure if they even make it anymore, so I’ve been using this blue gel looking stuff. Of course I can’t think of the name to save my life, but it’s a menthol gel – like icy hot without the ‘hot’. It’s pretty much the same thing as Biofreeze (http://www.biofreeze.com/) , but is usually cheaper and easier to find in drug stores. I put it on my forehead and the back of my neck. Sometimes it’s the only thing that works. I’ve also used migraine patches (http://www.drugstore.com/wellpatch-migraine-cooling-headache-patches-menthol-and-lavender-oil/qxp39875), but they’re more expensive, look pretty silly, and do the same thing. Hope you get some relief soon – migraines are brutal.

Natalie January 22, 2013 at 9:30 am

Ive been getting them for years. Mine are weather related. We get chinooks where I live that can take the temp from -25C to +10C overnight and the change in pressure KILLS my head. My solution is imetrex, an ice pack on the head, and a nap in a dark, quiet, cool room.

Natalie January 22, 2013 at 9:48 am

*** Imitrex

I also wanted to say that I drink a Coke when I get one, or sometimes when I feel one coming on and that helps. And I definitely agree with the poster who said take the generic version of Imitrex.

Crystina January 22, 2013 at 10:03 am

I had them all the time from preschool through college; thankfully I seem to have outgrown them since I’ve only had one in the past decade. No one knew what they were when I was a kid and I was taken to the ER with a couple of major ones in college. When I had them, caffeine, ibuprofen and a cool dark room would help a little. For the last couple of years I took feverfew every day as a preventative measure. It seemed to help – the frequency and intensity of my migraines were both reduced, and eventually I stopped getting them. Hope you figure it out & feel better soon!!

Julia's Math January 22, 2013 at 10:30 am

Love the new design! Very spiffy! Thanks for the info on writing for Babble- I WOULD ABSOLUTELY DIE! (Note to any editors of Babble reading this: IM AVAILABLE) have you tried IUDs? There is a copper one that is hormone free and from what I understand is very easily “installed” and “uninstalled”.

KristenSue January 22, 2013 at 10:40 am

Hey BA, I sufffered from severe migraines and tension headaches. I was even seeing a neurologist. I tried many different medications and physical therapy, but it was the chiropractor that ended up working for me. So I’ll join everyone else with that recommendation and add it to your ‘things to try’ list.

Erin January 22, 2013 at 10:56 am

I have migraines all the time. I’ve had IV cocktails, been on Imitrex (which just intensified my migraines – I didn’t even know that was possible since mine are so severe), taken Magnesium supplements, had trigger point injections, etc…The trigger point injections helped with my tension-related migraines, but it still does not make them go away – they’re just less severe. When I was pregnant, it was the worst – I couldn’t take any of the remedies that had helped ease some of the pain….only tylenol and a caffeinated drink (which did JACK SQUAT). Anyway, I feel your pain – and I hope your doctor recommends something that will actually bring you some relief. Feel better, BA!

Emily January 22, 2013 at 10:57 am

When on birth control, I get them terribly. Like, in bed for several days, vomiting, etc. My OB prescribed Maxalt, which is my miracle drug. As you feel one coming on, you take a pill, if it doesn’t knock it out completely, you can take another one a few hours later. Good luck!!!!

Emma January 22, 2013 at 11:35 am

Ugh, migraines suck. I definitely feel your pain. I hope your doc will prescribe you something nice and effective; prescription meds are really the only thing that has ever worked for me. I take Topamax daily, and a Maxalt and Fiorocet cocktail when the avoidance attempts aren’t enough. Unfortunately, I’ve spent the better part of the last 4 years pregnant or breastfeeding, and they’re a no-go with that. Luckily my migraines are very infrequent during pregnancy for some reason, but when one did break through, alternating a cold & hot compress on my neck/temple seemed to help along with a caffeine blast, dark silence, and sleep. Good luck!

Jessica January 22, 2013 at 11:44 am

Could a change in BC help?

When I was on othro-tricyclen low (or however it’s spelled) I got a ton of migraines, more so then I usual would. I switchen to seasoneque and suddenly no migraines….. the human body is a funny thing.

Hugs and love to you. I hope it passes soon.

Shaina January 22, 2013 at 11:47 am

Get yourself a Rx for a triptan, stat!

I’ve been getting migraines since I was about 16, and I’m 35 now. I now get about 6-10+ a month. I’ve been to neurologists, pain management dr’s, physical therapy, chiropractors, accupuncture, had MRIs. I’ve tried several daily preventive meds – all with lame side effects but no relief. I’ve been on several triptans – some don’t relieve the migranes, some do for a while then stop working. Right now Treximet is actually working really well for me.

You need to find your triggers. Mine are MSG (which is in about 95% of processed foods and hides under other names), bananas, yogurt, avocados, fresh yeast risen bread, other foods, my period, sometimes weather, lack of sleep. And hate to say it – come off the caffeine (completely) and birth control – it’s back to condoms, yep, suxx! Plus get a lot of sleep.

I’m on my upteenth preventative daily med with little to no change. A pain mngt dr suggested a nerve block – a steroid injection into the inflamed nerves that are causing the migraines. It seems really extreme and scary, and might not even do anything, but I think I’m at that point.

I feel your pain, literally! There seems to be a special comraderie among sufferers. Migraines are absolutely terrible things to endure, they can really take a toll on your life and hapiness. i hope you can find relief soon!

Jenn R January 22, 2013 at 11:49 am

I’ve had migraines my whole life and was on daily medication for ten years (TEN YEARS!) before trying acupuncture. It took 3-6 months of regular acupuncture treatments, but I now consider myself migraine free (I get one every now and then when my sleeping/eating is out of whack) and haven’t taken prescription medication for them in over two years. It was a life changer.

My husband, the scientist, was very very doubtful about acupuncture but supported me nonetheless (I think he figured that even a placebo effect would be worthwhile). Well, after my experience he is a full-fledged believer. Acupuncture isn’t right for every problem, but it seems to be very effective for this. I highly recommend trying it. I had to pay out of pocket and probably spent around $1,500 on treatments, but I would have gladly paid that much years ago if I knew I could live without migraines.

Melinda January 22, 2013 at 11:53 am

I’ve gotten migraines since I was 10. I’ve been on lots of different meds, but my neurologist and I have found that the best rescue meds are imitrex mixed with 800mg ibuprofen. I REALLY don’t recommend Topamax for a lot of reasons. The side effects are terrible, it interacts w/ birth control, I really could go on & on (if you’re really curious, I could email you). I’ve been on it for seizures for years & am just now switching off, thank God.

If you can’t get into your dr for awhile & get another migraine before then, try an ice pack at the base of your head/neck & temple, chugging Gatorade, and some scalp massage from your husband. Relaxation works wonders. <3 feel better.

Caitlin MidAtlantic January 22, 2013 at 12:07 pm

Ouch, rough. I had them for a while after college, but they stopped with babies. My friend swears by accupressure. Another friend swears by Yaz! birth control – I know that every pill out there affects every woman differently, but maybe you should try a different hormone dose? Also green apple shampoo helps somehow, as odd as that sounds.

Nicole January 22, 2013 at 12:25 pm

BCP gave me awful migraines.. not at first, actually at first they helped! So I ended up taking them continuously (like Seasonale) so avoid the hormonal drops, but gradually my migraines got worse. Usually twice per month. I didn’t realize it was related but when I went off BCP to have babies, my migraines disappeared. Straight up. In 4 years I’ve had maybe.. 3? That’s a miracle for me. I think the BCP raised the general level of inflammation in my body and that’s really not good for you over time, in lots of ways. It’s not just a temporary headache. SO! I know you don’t want to get pregnant right now, but I would look into other options, seriously. Non-hormonal birth control could really improve your quality of life. I’m not going to explain all your options, but you should think about it. Good luck!

Nicole January 22, 2013 at 12:28 pm

Oh, and I second the Maxalt and ice packs on your head suggestions.

Amie January 22, 2013 at 12:31 pm

I used to swear by 4 Advil, a cup of strong coffee and a trip to my chiropractor… but that stopped working eventually… Now I swear by MaxAlt and monthly visits to my chiro… Expensive w/o insurance, but there may be similar alternatives, and some chiropractors will work with you! Good luck. They are NO. FUN!

Jess January 22, 2013 at 1:32 pm

During law school I had a migraine from June (Father’s Day) till about September. After that from Sept to Dec it was a chronic headache. I went into the hospital to have a DHE treatment, I took every med on the market (nothing worked and one made me feel like I was going to die). They stopped while I was pregnant and since then they aren’t as frequent. But the moment I feel one coming I take an Excedrin Migraine and chug a coke. Usually that helps them simmer.

I know you’re pain. Hope you find relief!

Tena January 22, 2013 at 1:35 pm

I have a friend who has suffered from debilitating migraines for years. The best fix she found was getting Botox in her neck muscles. It was recently approved and should be covered by your insurance, and it actually works. I think she gets it done every 3 months.

Kaila January 22, 2013 at 1:52 pm

I had to go to urgent care last night for my migraine. They gave me a shot of imitrex and an iv with benedryl a pain killer and something for the nausea and I was 90% better within 2 hours! I usually use maxalt for my migraines but I didn’t pick up my refill. last time I will forget to do that!

Hannah January 22, 2013 at 2:11 pm

Have you ever talked to a nutritionist about them? Sometimes migraines can be food/food allergy related. I used to get horrible migraines but by figuring out some foods my body was reacting to (only with migraines I rarely get them any more. Just a thought.

Beth Raulerson January 22, 2013 at 2:44 pm

I’ve been plagued by migraines forever! I’d get them almost weekly and tried every type of medicine known to man. Some people told me that I should go to the chiropractor, but I do the eye-roll to chiropractors. Then a co-worker who had migraines as bad as mine started to go to a chiropractor that does upper-cervical care (meaning they focus on your atlas, the base of your neck, and aren’t the “crack your back” kind of chiros) and was never getting migraines. After one of the worst migraines ever, I decided to give it a try. I went to my appointment, had x-rays (they take them from all different angles) and then had an adjustment. They use sound waves to make their adjustment to one spot in your neck. I felt better by the end of the day. There was even one occasion where my husband had to drive me to the appointment and I threw up the whole way there. I felt almost completely better on the way home. I’m still not 100% sold on traditional chiropractors, but I know that this type worked for me. It may be worth checking into for you. Whatever you do, I hope you find something that works for you because migraines suck!

Sarah S January 22, 2013 at 2:47 pm

I’ve been getting them with my period for years and I swear by Maxalt. I worship at the alter of Maxalt. I switched to immitrex when I was bf my babies because medical studies had been done about bf and imitrex but found it took longer to work. After babies weaned, back the altar of maxalt.

Also I’ve found keeping my body at homeostasis helps – don’t get too full or too hungry, sleep at regular times, dont’ get too cold or too warm. difficult, I know but it helps.

Rachel m January 22, 2013 at 3:14 pm

I know it sounds nutty, but until I cleaned up my diet, nothing worked. Since getting rid of ALL processed foods (including bread and pasta since its refined), I haven’t had a single migraine. The bonus has been losing 60lbs, but I would do anything just for migraine relief.

Jenn January 22, 2013 at 3:20 pm

My husband used to get migranes frequently, but started taking a magnesium supplement and they have gone away. Just normal magnesium you buy in the vitamin aisle. It’s worth a try. The recommendation originally came from a magazine article about preventing migranes.

Carly January 22, 2013 at 3:52 pm

I would get headaches frequently, and bad migraines around the time of the month. Constant head massages from the husband, Advil, Aromatherapy oils (Which sometimes took the edge off while waiting for meds to kick in, hot showers are what helped me. There is this company called Saje (Not sure if they are only in Canada) and they make a product called Peppermint Halo headache and migraine relief. You put the oils around your hairline, and smells really soothing. That helped in combo with the meds, you could check it out!

Jessica January 22, 2013 at 5:28 pm

I feel you! Mine are also hormone related. I can’t live without my Imitrex (rx only). If you take it right when you feel one coming on, it usually knocks them out within 2 hours. If I’m out of Imitrex, I’ll take 2 Excedrin Migraine and 1 Excedrin Tension, drink a Mt. Dew, and lay down for a few hours.
I hope you’re able to get some relief soon. I know how awful they are and I don’t know how you’re making it with work/home/toddler life with week long migraines.

Jessica January 22, 2013 at 5:31 pm

OH!! I’ve also heard that Feverfew works really well.

samantha January 22, 2013 at 6:58 pm

you’re body might be low on calcium and magnisium. i’ve had them since i was in about 4th grade. but when i was pregnant with my 2nd baby they never went the f*ck away. 7 months of tylenol only, mouse kicking an elephant in the shin mingraines. my ob had me doing pt to try to help it. and they wouldnt go so finally he said- hey try taking an extra calcium pill and an extra magnisium. i took those with a couple of tylenol (now with aleve) and a giant glass of water with a couple hours of sleep and they are down to a tolerable head ache. and i get them once a month like clock work now- mother nature hates me.

Amy January 22, 2013 at 9:52 pm

I love the makeover! I just texted you I was so excited. I’m sorry you’re stressed and it’s triggering the headaches. COBRA are a bunch of stank mother fuckers.

My aunt suffers severely also. She sits with an ice pack on her head in a hot bath. She says it pulls the blood away from her head and down into her body. Or, maybe she just puts her feet in and the ice pack on her head? I can’t remember. Either way. I’m so sorry, friend. Feel better!

LeighAnn January 22, 2013 at 11:01 pm

I saw that you had watched the documentary Veducated…my husband and I are researching and watching lots of documentaries on vegetarian/vegan diets as well. We just got finished watching one called “Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead”…there’s a part where a lady tries the fruit/vegetable juice diet and it almost completely eliminates her migraines. I suffer from the too. I don’t think you have to do anything that extreme, but it just goes to show that a lot of the foods and drinks we consume can cuase a lot of health issues (like migraines). It’s a good one to watch…I would reccommend it.

Mary January 23, 2013 at 9:30 am

I get them now once a month when I get my period. I take Imitrex. It’s the only thing that doesn’t leave me feeling like I took a ride in the Flex Capicator for a week.

Meegs January 23, 2013 at 10:36 am

I got them all the time when I was on birth control. They were horrible. I went off the pill to get pregnant, the migraines stopped and decided I could never go back on! I have the mirena IUD now and its a godsend!

Cat January 23, 2013 at 12:43 pm

I used to get them about once a month, and when excedrin migraine failed to touch them, I got a prescription med and it was fabulous. Insane really, how well it worked for me. I later found out mine were due to hormones (birth control, of course).
The only other things that helped other than medication were sleeping it off, caffeine, and cold air. Yes, I stuck my head in the freezer.
Hope you get some awesome meds!

Jen @ a little barefoot blog January 23, 2013 at 2:05 pm

I get them. They started for me when I was in junior high school. Never got more than a few a year but after the birth of my 2nd baby they started coming more often. Dr. told me they tend to ramp up in frequency for women in their 30s (sorry to remind you) and then tend to slow down again after 40. She also gave me a list of things to avoid eating which were like, pretty much anything that is in my daily diet. I’m not super careful about the food but I’ll avoid that stuff if I feel like one is coming on or if I’m stressed and tired (another trigger for me too.) I have been pregnant or nursing for about 4.5 years straight now so once all that business is done I’m totally getting the good drugs.

Feel better!

Kristin January 23, 2013 at 3:03 pm

If it’s really the birth control, you should look into Natural Family Planning/Fertility Awareness Method. It isn’t infallible, but it works really well for type A people who can keep track of the various signs on a daily basis. I am on BC because it is easier and my kids still wake me during the night. If I couldn’t do BC, I would do FAM.

Stacey January 23, 2013 at 4:48 pm

I used to get them about every other night when in my teens/college years. I was prescribed Sumatriptan injections, but hated to take them because of how awful they made me feel. One day at a new dentist she asked me if anyone ever told me I was a teeth grinder. She prescribed me a mouth guard and since then (about 7 years ago) I have had maybe a handful of migraines. If I do get them these days they are from dehydration. I try and drink 1+ gallon of water a day to keep them at bay. Some say caffeine helps, but it tends to be classified as a diuretic which increases your urine output and then dehydrates you even more.
Good luck!

Krista January 24, 2013 at 9:38 am

I have had them periodically through my life. Sometimes one cure works and another doesn’t. Strong medication is always good but ice on the neck/back of the head helps me. When I get migraines EVERYTHING knots up and throbs so the ice helps reduce any inflammation. Followed by heat to relax the muscles.

Caffiene is always a must…along with water but half the time I can’t stomach the water because migraines make me nauseated so usually my caffiene intake comes in the form of a fizzy soda to help keep the stomach calm.

Vicki @ Crowning Victoria January 24, 2013 at 6:47 pm

I get hemiplegic migraines, which basically look like strokes but are really migraines (since they are loaded with BLARING PAIN). My migraines are also directly related to hormones.

My only solution was quitting The Pill. But I also *had* to quit The Pill, since it increases your risk of stroke and my migraines *look* like strokes anyways. Legally my OBGYN & neurologist told me they would not be responsible for me taking The Pill anymore. So overall if I have a brain which already knows what a stroke looks like, taking The Pill for me is like asking to have a real stroke. No thanks, here!

Anyways, since kicking The Pill to the curb in August I’ve had 1 migraine. One, down from 17 a month. One down from stroke-look-a-like-ville. One visit to the ER (since triptans no longer work for me).

However, you should know Immitrex is the weakest triptan out there. You should ask about Maxalt. It’s a faster acting and better triptan. This is not my opinion, this is what 3 neurologists have told me.

I’m so sorry you’re in pain. I know acupuncture, magnesium, and peppermint tea have all been helpful as well. I hope you find a solution, soon!

Rebekah January 27, 2013 at 9:45 pm

I was a migraine sufferer in high school through college. I didn’t find much that helped except SLEEPing in a dark quiet room. Then I started having them so often that wasn’t a good solution. My doctor put me on a high blood pressure medication. it helped regulate the blood flow through my brain and helped the blood vessels not contract and expand so suddenly, causing my migraines. It worked like a charm! I had so few migraines that it changed my life! My extremities (hands and feet) were cold all the time, but a manageable side effect for the positive benefits. Eventually, years later, I tried going off and haven’t had a problem since. I have one a year, maybe every 18 months. I’m not certain it’s a route doctors try any more. But it was a cheap medication and really worked for me. Maybe ask your doc about it?

The Many Thoughts of a Reader January 29, 2013 at 12:14 am

I was on Imitrex for awhile and I did physical therapy for my back because apparently even though I was having back/neck issues and migraines they WERENT RELATED. Whatever. After a summer of physical therpay and steroid shots all of my issues were better so who knows what was going on there. I think now post-baby my migraines are most definitely hormonal and I am not on any birth control.

Kristen January 30, 2013 at 10:09 pm

Have you tried seeing a chiropractor? Sometimes an adjustment (or regular adjustments) can really help. They did for me!

Beth Anne January 31, 2013 at 10:28 am

Yes! I loved it but it’s so damn expensive :( I’m hoping my next insurance policy will cover chiropractic care better.