TGIF, my friends.

by heirtoblair on December 14, 2012

I love you people so hard. Thank you for your support & sweet, wise words yesterday. That post has been sitting in my journal for almost a year but sometimes the hardest things to publish are the best therapy for all of us.

________________________________________

It seems like the majority of the blogging world has the crud & I’m joining in, except I don’t have the crud. I just have a migraine that’s on Day 4 & kicking my tail.

photo1 225x300 TGIF, my friends.

I’ve taken Excedrine, gone to bed early, chugged water, coffee, Coke, & tea.  I’ve used a heating pad & taken a hot shower & finally made an appointment with a chiropractor because at this point, I’m willing to do anything.

The cool part of being a contract worker is dolla dolla billz because the company doesn’t have to pay benefits.  Contractors tend to make bank & it’s helped us with the house projects & my father-in-law’s health bills so we’re thankful for it.

The bad part of working under contract? No benefits. No health insurance, no vacation or sick leave. I begged for 5 days in August & my boss was kind enough to grant them so I could be at the beach with my family.  I still feel guilty for taking them, that I didn’t earn them & I worry constantly that it will come back to bite me because that’s what happens when you’ve been kicked down by work.  Yesterday, my head was pounding by 8am & Harry was telling me his chest hurt & he needed to stay home but he wasn’t running a fever & I couldn’t miss work, so I loaded us both up in the car & crossed myself that the day would be bearable.

Dear Santa,
For Christmas I’d like the contract gig I love to turn into a permament position.  I’d also like Hunter rain boots & a Rachel Held Evans book.
love,
BA

Laura Case December 14, 2012 at 8:45 am

Late to respond, but my husband and I – who met at work- got laid off on the same day in 2002 after 9/11 killed the software industry. We got the call they were shutting down the Chicago office and we had no jobs. 10 years later(!!!) I still get insane stress whenever there is an unexpected all-company meeting and/or layoffs and/or someone from work calls me outside work hours at my home. I won’t go into the life lessons we learned from that experience. I’ll just say I’m forever changed in some ways – good and bad.

Meg December 14, 2012 at 9:27 am

Dude. Make an appointment with an Osteopath (a D.O. medical doctor) who specializes in Cranial therapy. My husband does it and has an EXCELLENT success rate with migraines, headaches, all sorts of things. You live in a big enough area that there might be one who does it there. Search for an D.O. doctor who offers Osteopathic Manipulative Medicine or Osteopathic Manual Treatment.

And also? Thank you for yesterday’s post. I didn’t comment then, but you completely validated what’s been haunting me when I got fired from a job over three years ago.

Robyn December 14, 2012 at 9:52 am

I had to go to the ER two days in a row for migraines once. Day 1 was something like $1500 for fluids and painkillers. Day 2 was double that, easy. Thankfully, insurance, but that would suck so hard. Lots and lots and lots of water, says the ER. Like, obscene amounts.

Casey December 14, 2012 at 10:05 am

Thank you so much for hitting publish on that entry yesterday. Just the sheer volume of the comments from people who have been through similar experiences tells me that reading somebody else’s “work crap” story was therapy for us all. I guess misery really does love company…lol…but seriously, thank you. That entry came at an opportune time for me, and I know everybody else who commented appreciated it too. Oh, and I really hope your headache goes away. Those things are no joke. Happy Friday!

Emily December 14, 2012 at 10:29 am

Try a benadryl, if you can. I suffer from chronic migraines, and sometimes, when all else fails, benadryl and a gazillion ounces of water will kick it out. Feel better!

Jenny December 14, 2012 at 11:35 am

I’ve been reading you for years and sometimes I tell my husband funny things you say or something that he might relate to. He was fired 3 weeks ago and has had trouble finding work- this economy sucks! What double sucks is he is good at his job! All of his clients LOVE him. But he lost one case and corporate got mad and so his boss had to show that he was “doing something about it” so bye,bye.

He’s been taking it really hard and I’m trying to be sensitive to how this has crushed his manhood and his self-worth. But I think your post said it best. I showed it to him and he could relate TOTALLY. He finished it and it was like a sigh of relief came over him that he wasn’t alone in his feelings.

We have so much in common it’s scary! My son will be 3 soon, we are having trouble selling our house (although it should be done in January), we moved last year and both changed jobs, and now my husband has lost his job.

Erin December 14, 2012 at 11:41 am

Ugh, sorry about the headache. I’ve had one all week too…plus it didn’t help the kid had a stomach virus so last night I felt sick, basically thought I was going to die & now I woke up feeling like I have an uti…lovely…and I still have a headache (I have also drowned myself in water this week!).
I’m glad yesterday’s post was so theraputic for you! Isn’t that a great feeling? That was one thing I do miss about my blog but I feel like just moving it back to Caringbride I’m able to be even more honest & I get much more feedback from others.
I can say that the other post you wrote when you finally spoke so brutally honest about postpartum depression & your struggles meant the world to me! With the encouragement of that post I was finally able to admit that after going through this entire past year I had some serious underlying anxiety issues about getting sick again and/or dying! I was able to talk to my oncologist who immedialy said I was normal (ha!) & she sent me to talk to a therapist; that helped but posting a journal entry about it & sharing it felt so great. It felt great to finally say that being anxious/depressed isn’t a weakness but it’s our ability to accept who we are & share that with others that makes us so strong. So Thank You (long over due) for that! Sometimes it’s really amazing how something we say can effect others so much & we never really know it!

R's Mom December 14, 2012 at 12:03 pm

This is unsolicited medical advice from a fellow migraine sufferer! But I know I’m always open to suggestion to help with my migraines!

Whenever I get one, I always feel like I need to put heat on my head/neck/upper back. In reality, it doesn’t help. Ice, on the other hand, is very soothing. It never sounds appealing when I have a headache, but can actually help calm it down.

Also, when I first get a headache that seems like it might become a migraine, caffeine and sugar (i.e. a real coke and some excedrin) can help ward it off. But once I get into a cycle of migraines, too much caffeine can exacerbate it, and I’m better off sticking to water.

Everyone’s headaches are different, but maybe this will help you a little!

Kelli G December 14, 2012 at 1:05 pm

Migraines suck big hairy donkey balls. The chiro is the only way I manage to control them, so good luck to you!

Oh, and as much as this is going to sound like I’m just blowing smoke – I’m amazed anytime you’re not on a top mom blog list. can.not.compute. Thanks for being your kickass self.

brooke December 14, 2012 at 9:16 pm

I had a migraine for 4 days, it was the start of my upper respiratory infection, which I am stuck at home with now. :(

Evy December 15, 2012 at 10:50 pm

I know that some of my migraines are hormone triggered.