Being in these Christmas moments.

by heirtoblair on December 6, 2012

IMG 0912 1024x768 Being in these Christmas moments.

IMG 09131 1024x768 Being in these Christmas moments.

IMG 0902 768x1024 Being in these Christmas moments.

IMG 0916 1024x768 Being in these Christmas moments.

IMG 0929 1024x768 Being in these Christmas moments.

I’m at that tedious part of the day when it’s dark outside & it’s just me in the kitchen with bare feet on old linoleum. The boys are upstairs & Doug is running a bath & there’s an odd noisy-quiet that comes over our house when the day begins truly winding down.  In a perfect world, I make a cup of tea & flip on the soft glow of my desk light but in the real world, the world full of clients changing their minds at the last minute & aching hips & leftovers still sitting on the counter…I don’t live in that type of writer’s perfection.  I don’t think any of us do, truly, even when we long for it.

But there is something about Christmas.

There is something about draped garland with cream ribbon & white Christmas lights.  That warm glow they seem to cast over everything & even when the baseboards are dusty & the days are short, they still look beautiful.  Where the smells of home become pine needles & the promise of sugar cookies (that may not ever be made, if I am honest).  But even this house with it’s straw-seeded lawn & old vinyl floors & fresh grey walls feels like home, a warm home full of love & comfort & I want to be here, curled up with my boys.

Casey December 6, 2012 at 9:44 am

Such a sweet post! Congratulations on your first Christmas in your new home! Christmas doesn’t have to be perfect to be a perfect Christmas, does it? :-)

Suz December 6, 2012 at 9:58 am

You’re decorations are beautiful! I was remiss if I didn’t tell you that Saturday!

heirtoblair December 6, 2012 at 4:55 pm

Thanks, Suz!

Whitney December 6, 2012 at 10:13 am

Your house looks so pretty! Can you please tell me where you got the manger scene that is on your mantel? I have been looking for the perfect manger scene, and I think that might be it… :)

heirtoblair December 6, 2012 at 4:55 pm

Thank you!!

If it’s the lights, it’s this one:

If it’s the full nativity, it’s Willow Tree. Which is incredibly pricey, but Doug gave me a piece each year for five years.

Whitney December 7, 2012 at 12:21 pm

Perfect…thank you!!

Amanda December 6, 2012 at 10:24 am

christina December 6, 2012 at 10:36 am

I”ve been reading you for 3 years and you’ve never been able to shake the dusty baseboards. LOL!
I think that’s your ” thing” like for me it’s a carpet with crumbs. It sets me in a downward spiral and for you it’s dusty baseboards.
The house looks great. It’s impossible to believe you pretty much just moved in. I don’t know how you did it so fast. We’ ve been here 5 years and I still have no pictures on the walls.

Kelli G December 6, 2012 at 11:31 am

Beautiful words & oh so true. My house is only half decorated, but damnit it doesn’t really matter because the lights are on the trees and in the evening that’s all I really need. Something about Christmas lights calms my frazzled nerves.

Stephanie December 6, 2012 at 1:52 pm

I must know where you got that rudolph on the wall.

heirtoblair December 6, 2012 at 4:57 pm

Here you go!

I think mine is the “Medium” size :) She’s fast & it’s awesome. (My friend Jenny thinks it’s sick. I think it’s hilarious.)

Shannon December 6, 2012 at 2:29 pm

I know exactly what you mean….everything about Christmas is magical.

BA….I LOVE reading all your posts. You make me smile! Laughed out loud about the comment on your Yard Demo Part II…It’s a mud pit. I should have squeezed into a bikini & called MTV. Haha.

Amy December 6, 2012 at 3:31 pm

Love the magic of Christmas!!

And love the light that’s peeking through from your upstairs hallway. Did you guys install that? I’m having a super hard time finding non-boob lights for the new house.

heirtoblair December 6, 2012 at 4:53 pm

It’s part of the “Sadie” light collection from Home Depot. We love it (it replaced a boob light) but now we have to paint the ceiling. yuck.

Caroline December 6, 2012 at 4:02 pm

I know you’ve probably mentioned it in another post, but WHERE did you get your candles with the nativity scene?

heirtoblair December 6, 2012 at 4:56 pm

They’re from Day Spring:

They tend to sell out every year & are 50% off now, so if it were me, I’d snag it now.

Lauren December 6, 2012 at 4:53 pm

I love the black and white photo of you and Harrison. Reminds me of my son :)

Jenny December 6, 2012 at 5:25 pm

your house looks ahhhhhmazing :) Fabulous job on all of the decorating!

Stephanie December 7, 2012 at 2:36 pm

BA, I love and adore you, but that reindeer head scared the shit out of me.

heirtoblair December 10, 2012 at 5:17 pm

hhahahahahahahaha, laughing so hard. Jenny said it was sick & twisted.

Liv December 7, 2012 at 5:25 pm

what a beautiful house! Also, wanted to stop by and tell all parents about an awesome contest to win a $1,500 online shopping spree at Oscar De La Renta Childrenswear! Here is the link: http://www.elizabethstreetcontests.com/oscardelarenta/

Liv

Jen @ Migonis Home December 20, 2012 at 7:49 am

Love your tree! I am part of the link up with Shannon and was wondering where you got your amazing rug….
Jen at Migonis Home

heirtoblair December 20, 2012 at 1:37 pm

Thank you!! The grey one? That is from Garden Ridge – $100!