7 Tips to Get That Baby Sleeping

by heirtoblair on December 2, 2012

I wasn’t the best at getting Harrison to sleep when I was a momma because, well…I was a first-time momma. I had no idea what to do with this creature that shot out of my lady-bits & into my life. I was nervous & jumpy & worried that if I let him sleep in his lamb swing, he’d try to take the thing to college. But I’m proud to say that now, I’m pretty good with fussy babies.

The first tip is to calm down. Seriously. I know it feels like the world will end if your baby doesn’t go to sleep right this instant, right now, are you listening to me kid?! But I promise you, Earth will keep spinning. The baby got to feed off you via umbilical cord for nine months, so don’t let him feed off your anxiety outside of the womb.

Get a routine. You need a “sleep cue,” like a bath or a bottle or a lullaby. Something that tells your baby (who can’t read a clock) that it’s almost sleepy-time-o-clock.

Then get the kid warm & cozy. I found that if I left my kid in pajamas all day rather than fussy baby jeans & polos, he slept better. Which makes sense because I sleep better in fleece foot jammies than a cocktail dress. If he’s a swaddle kid, swaddle him.

Let him sleep where he wants. This was my philosophy with naps. If he wanted to nap in his swing, cool. On his belly? Sure, I just sat beside him with a book. Bedtime, on the other hand, was crib only.

Preheat. Read more about that here.

Pat the crap out of him. When I was a new momma, I would gingerly tap my baby on the back to soothe him. LAME. That would irritate the fire out of me if I was a baby. Instead, my kid wanted to be jostled & probably because that’s what it felt like in the womb. So I like to hold babies firmly against me, then pat their diapered rumbs firmly. You’re not spanking the kid, but you are giving a solid “Hey kid, I’m here” rhythm for them to go brain-numb on.

Do the mommy sway. You know the drill. Stand up & plant your feet shoulder-width apart. Sway back & forth, using your hips. You can even get in a little torso rotation for the super-fussy baby & bonus! Your abs! p.s. keep the firm pat going with the mommy sway. When he’s good & zonked, place him in the preheated bed & tiptoe out. Don’t do anything weird like try to sniff the top of his head or bottom of his feet because you’ll probably wake him. Also, your kid may be totally different & you may be laughing at this list. The beauty of kids is that they like to pull fast ones.

How did you get your tot to sleep? Was there anything he or she really liked?

Check out the Huggies Mommy Answers Facebook app and find more posts from bloggers sharing their experiences of motherhood on the Huggies page on BlogHer.com.

Rachel m December 2, 2012 at 2:49 am

My boob in his face!

Ruthy T. (@DiscoveryStreet) December 2, 2012 at 3:24 am

thank you!! i just posted on FB tonight how hard crying it out was (we just started this as my LO just turned 3 months old. any tips are helpful! thx!

Acia December 2, 2012 at 5:00 am

For DD1, it was mostly my boob. She apparently needed it to fall asleep and then All. Night. Long. That and a very dark room + white noise was the only way she’d sleep, and even then she barely slept. DD2 on the other hand couldn’t care less about my boob (I try not to take it personally) – she’s into her paci + white noise + dark room. Oh, and the Magic Sleep Suit – a savior for DD2 when we transitioned her to the crib. Now she’s 8 months old and falls asleep beautifully all on her own, no boob required :-)

Ahmad December 2, 2012 at 5:17 pm

It was a disaster for me and my wife to let the twins sleep.
will defiantly try applying these tips.
EFT

Meredith @ La Buena Vida December 2, 2012 at 6:18 pm

Well, Rebecca is a vampire baby and seriously only sleeps during daylight hours. But she’s only 3 weeks old, and that’ll work itself out eventually.

But with Lizzy, we had this Fisher Price seahorse that lit up and played music…and we seriously called it the “baby crack machine”, because it would totally zonk her out! It helps with Rebecca too, but as soon as the music stops, she’s wide awake again…oye.

Lauren December 3, 2012 at 12:11 pm

We just started the E.A.S.Y. Routine by the Baby Whisperer on our nine week old and it has been magical! In just a few days, our child has gone from sleeping 3-4 stretches at night to sleeping 5 1/2-7 hour stretches. Baby is happier too!

Hannah December 4, 2012 at 2:12 pm

The momma sway and jostling him like a linebacker. Seriously. My calves are rocken’ some super sweet muscles after three months of the routine!

Therese December 4, 2012 at 9:11 pm

5 S’s (aka Happiest Baby on the Block)! I swore by them! Bonus points for doing most or all at once! :)
We swaddled, used pacifiers, white noise, “jiggled”, & swung if necessary!