Yep, pulling out my faithful crock pot again.
Doug adores potato soup because it’s cream & carbs & fat & then you get to smother it in bacon & cheese. (let’s be serious – I love the shit out of it, too.) I’ve tried several potato soup recipes in the past & all of them have fallen short – not enough taste, or texture, or cream. Which means that if we want potato soup, we go out to dinner. Then my friend Sarah was like, “I HAVE THIS BALLS-AWESOME RECIPE” & I was doubtful but I gave it a whirl.
It was yummy. Perfect for a cold, rainy November night. Not to mention that it had been cooking all day which meant a) the house smelled delicious & b) the only thing I had to do when I got home was toss in the cream cheese & wait an hour.
(Rumor has it that it is an adaptation of a Paula Deen recipe.) Here’s what you’ll need…
- 30 oz. bag of frozen hash browns (we used the shredded Orida kind)
- 1 regular can of cream of chicken soup
- 48 oz carton of chicken broth
- 1 diced onion (I used half of an onion – it just depends on how onion-y you are feeling)
- 1 tsp black pepper (I used a little more – more like 2 tsp)
- 1 block of regular cream cheese (do not use fat free. just don’t. it won’t melt.)
Toss everything in your crockpot EXCEPT the cream cheese. Cook on low for 6-8 hours. One hour before you’re ready to eat, toss in the cream cheese. Let it melt & stir it in.
Serve with bacon, chives, cheese…whatever you like. I serve with a salad on the side & this soup would be delicious in a sourdough bread bowl.