Peanut Butter the Pony, aka loving the kid you’ve got.

by heirtoblair on July 19, 2012

Harrison’s “school” does some pretty fantastic stuff & a few weeks ago, they did “school pictures” with kids sitting in beach scenes.

I can’t decide if they kill me because he’s my kid & I think he’s awesome, or because they’re so effing ridiculous that it’s frame-worthy.  Like, “Oh, hey! Just standing on the beach in my regular clothes. No big deal.”  Pretty sure it’s going to be framed because it’s just not a family house until there are bad school pictures on the walls.  I take wicked glee in knowing that when he’s 40, this picture will still be in our living room.

Truthfully, I wasn’t planning on beach scene pictures because those were for the babies that couldn’t sit on a pony because they brought a mother-effing pony named Peanut Butter to the school for the kids to sit on.  Complete with cowboy hats & vests & bandanas & I lost my momma marbles thinking about my kid in a cowboy hat on a miniature pony.  I dressed him in his coolest plaid & talked up the pony like whoa.  He was SO EXCITED about the pony. “Pony! PONY! PONY!” was the song of the day on the way to school & then he about had a stroke when he saw the pony trailer parked out front & I’m inwardly fist-bumping the idea that in a mere two weeks, I’ll have a picture of my kid on a pony.  High kicks for cute!

Then we walk through the school & head to the back playground & he sees the pony & immediately spider-monkeys me.  Climbed up me with his own brute strength & clung to my neck for life.  I tried to conjole him into sitting on the pony, promising prizes & treats & how happy it would make Momma & he’s like, “Bish, you be crazy.”

Apparently they tried again in the afternoon to get him on the pony because it must have been written all over my face how badly I just wanted one pony picture, but no dice.  He was, on the other hand, willing to stand beside a wooden chair on an indoor beach scene.

This is also one of those really deep lessons in life on loving the kiddo you have even when he won’t sit on a pony.  Because not sitting on a pony is just the kind of kid he is, you know?

april July 19, 2012 at 2:27 pm

I am dying right now, this post made me laugh so hard. But good grief, Harrison is beyond adorable in these pictures. At least he is smiling…my kid just had this blank stare on his face like he was thinking “WTF am I standing here for?” And you know what? I love that picture and have it on my end table in the living room. These memories and photos are unforgettable :)

HeatherLBA July 19, 2012 at 2:28 pm

I can relate. Yesterday, my son’s daycare went on a field trip to a pony farm. PONY FARM! Holy crap! you know where we went on field trips to? The fricking museum. No pony rides at the museum. Just dinosaur bones and old people. So, did my boy sit on the ponies for picture taking like everyone else? Nope. Nothing doing. They said he lost his shit when they tried to sit him up there. But he did tell me he fed the chickens bread and went on a wagon ride, which was pretty awesome, so at least he had a good time. Seriously, if it was me – I’d still be sitting on that pony, to this day.

heirtoblair July 19, 2012 at 2:33 pm

I admit that I was 2.5 seconds away from putting on a cowboy hat & climbing up onto Peanut Butter.

I fucking love ponies.

KelNix0806 July 19, 2012 at 2:32 pm

OMG, I just choked on my water ice reading this! Thanks for the laugh BA, I needed it today!

And Harrison is adorable as always!

Nikki July 19, 2012 at 2:45 pm

Everything about this post is AWESOME. I so needed this laugh.

Harrison is quite the looker! :)

Nikki July 19, 2012 at 2:54 pm

Those pictures are too adorable. I also laugh at the ridiculous portrait backgrounds. At least they got rid of the neon light flashes and oversized Crayola crayons of my yesteryear.

Rachel July 19, 2012 at 3:04 pm

nope. it’s not just you. i am 100% dead over these pictures too. and this post. you rule.

Julie S. July 19, 2012 at 4:06 pm

I seriously have not laughed this hard in a LONG time. These photos slay me. And the description of him being like a spider monkey? Totally has my son written all over it.

Tonya Martin July 19, 2012 at 4:06 pm

Oh MY!!! I seriously have just DIED!!! Those are AWESOME!
Just as an FYI, We got a pony picture and it’s so brutal I’m buying the whole damn package of them. She looks so utterly ridiculous and terrified at the same time that it’s DEFINITELY a keeper. I’m thinking it will be wonderful to pull them out at the rehearsal dinner for her wedding in 25 years!

heirtoblair July 19, 2012 at 4:30 pm

I AM SO JEALOUS OF YOUR PONY PICTURE.

I told Doug that I saw so many parents walking out with pony pictures & I wanted to beat them down & Photoshop Harry’s head onto them.

Ambra July 19, 2012 at 4:51 pm

Oh…you are dying because he’s adorable. Not just because he’s your kid. I could just eat him up.

Erin July 19, 2012 at 5:04 pm

Oh I love them! I can’t wait for my kid to bring home pictures of her standing in front of lasers or a brick wall with graffiti haha. A few weekends ago we went back to my parent’s house who just happen to live next door to a farm. So my daughter wanted to see the cows & we wandered over; then we see the neighbors riding their horses so we go up to say HI. Instantly the neighbor goes “would she like a ride” & before I knew my tiny 2yr old was in the saddle of one of the tallest horses I’ve ever seen (not alone! She rode with the neighbor’s son) but do you think I actually had a freakin camera with me to capture that damn moment? Hellz No. I did however have a couple drinks in me which is why I was able to be such a calm-cool-rocking-mom instead of my normal GET MY CHILD THE HELL OFF THAT ANIMAL OMG!

Courtney Anne July 23, 2012 at 12:21 pm

BRICK WALL WITH GRAFITTI! YES!

Kerri A. July 19, 2012 at 5:05 pm

Oh how I feel your pain! Last Spring, Chloe’s preschool was taking pictures with the Easter bunny. I was so looking forward to a picture of my sweet little girl cozied up next to a fuzzy bunny. Instead? Instead, I got this thing in a poofy yellow dress pushing, yes PUSHING, away this poor bunny on the pedestal. He’s so cute leaning over looking at her like, “You crazy small person! I’m cute! I’m fluffy! Love me!”
It may not have turned out the way I hoped, but it makes me so happy to know that I have something to show her first boyfriend. “Did you know Chloe’s a bunny-hater? Here’s proof! BAM!” :)

The Many Thoughts of a Reader July 19, 2012 at 5:11 pm

hahahaha. love.

Jen Wargo July 19, 2012 at 5:33 pm

Peanut Butter the pony visited my daughter’s day care here in VA this week. I still don’t know if she sat on him. I guess I’ll know when the pictures come in.

Becky @ From Ministry to Motherhood July 19, 2012 at 8:30 pm

Harrison’s not stupid. He knows that 15 years from now when he’s bringing that first serious girlfriend home to meet his Momma he doesn’t want to be embarrassed by a Pony pick. Plus the kid’s got style. He’s practicing his gap pose already. :)

Diana July 19, 2012 at 8:31 pm

Oh, this is my kid too, for sure. He loves the IDEA of rides, ponies, etc. But once it’s time to actually get on, forget it. He just wants to watch. We’ve finally started getting him to go on small boardwalk rides and merry go rounds, but that only started happening a couple months ago. We haven’t worked up to live animals yet.

TarheelsInNj July 19, 2012 at 8:33 pm

I had the total opposite experience. My mother-in-law took H to the zoo a few months ago and suddenly I’m texted a picture of my kid RIDING a pony!! Never in a million years would I have thought my 2.5-year-old would be brave enough to not just sit on, but ride a pony. It just goes to show that with kids, you never know!

Jill @BabyRabies July 19, 2012 at 8:37 pm

Those are beyond adorable! What a little stud he is with lady killer looks already.

Shaina July 19, 2012 at 9:49 pm

This was too funny! Our daycare does “school pictures” too and the first time I learned this I about died with excitement. My son who performed terribly at Picture People gave us the greatest pics from the school pics for all 5 yrs he was there. My daughter on the other hand has refused with screaming tear filled protests both of her 2 yrs there. The teachers tried several times throughout the day, but no. No photos for us. Maybe next year-no, probably not.

Lisa July 19, 2012 at 10:08 pm

It amazes me how much kids will love the idea of some things, but not the actual thing. My 3 year old loves seeing the Detroit Tigers mascot “Paws” on TV . We took him to a Tigers game, and he was so excited to meet Paws – “Where’s Paws? Paws gonna come see ME?” Wouldn’t you know it, Paws walks right by our seats and tries to high-five him, and he lost it. He sat crying on the ground between our seats for 10 minutes. To this day he still says “I saw Paws. I cried at him.”

Marsha July 20, 2012 at 2:09 am

My husband is a professional horse trainer and my daughter loves going for rides with him (she’s a few months younger than Harrison) so you would think that she would love ponies! Oh contraire! We found a really cool pony that we were thinking about buying (super gentle, already proven to be great with small children) and we introduced the two. Golden, right? Yeah, NO! She gets this look on her face like, WTF is that-NO WAY that is a horse! And then she tried to climb me like a tree, it was great! Needless to say, no pony was bought that day. In a way, though, we lucked out that she wasn’t cool with it. It just means that we might have a few more years until the Christmas pony must be purchased. =) Maybe next picture day Harrison will be all about it!

Marsha July 20, 2012 at 2:10 am

Oh, and he is super adorable in his beach pictures! Love it!

Mel July 20, 2012 at 8:43 am

I can absolutely relate to this. My daughter is very much an introvert and slow to warm up to situations. She might talk about things for a week and then decide she doesn’t want to do it; I accept her where she’s at, too.

leah July 20, 2012 at 1:28 pm

OMG, spider monkeying. Dying over here. Great post.

KeAnne July 20, 2012 at 3:32 pm

Handsome boy you have there! I hope our “school” does pictures soon. D’s pictures at preschool last fall were tragic. He looked like he was being tortured. I bought the smallest package because I couldn’t not buy something but oh dear, I’m hoping for a better picture next time!

Mary July 21, 2012 at 6:47 pm

I have to say… I LOVE YOU! I read Kelly’s Korner and I found you through a vlog she posted about an interview that you and three other girls were in. I am loving the blog world, and I have about 13 followers GO ME! ha, but I find that not a lot of people in the blog world are like me…I don’t have a perfect/big home, I drink (in an I’m not an alcoholic way), my life with two boys is insane and not perfect all the time, I am a working mom, etc. Then I came across your blog and it is so real and totally makes me laugh!!! I am not by anyway saying that you don’t have a perfect life, but I think you know what I am trying to say…anyways, thanks for being cool!