Yes, Virginia.

by heirtoblair on December 20, 2011

In our home, the tale of Santa is not a lie.

It is magic & make-believe & hope, all the things we wish to instill in our child.  Wide-eyes at twinkling lights & soft stockings hung on the mantle & cookies on a plate.  Santa is purity of heart, goodness prevailing.  The belief in Santa is the same as the innocence that Superman can fly, that mermaids swim in the ocean, & that Momma’s kiss takes away a boo-boo.

It is not deception, but child-like faith.

It is not a story of greed & selfishness, but rather a man symbolic of grace & mercy.

In our home, Santa does not give gifts for being “good.”

Santa is not a manipulation.  Santa is grace.

Pure grace in the form of gifts under the tree as an act of love & sacrifice.  Gifts that we may not deserve, may not earn, may struggle with accepting, but gifts are there as a promise every Christmas morning.  Steadfast & loyal, Santa brings a grace that surpasses understanding & with it, love to fill hearts & souls & bring us closer.

It sounds similar to another story of Christmas, no?

& when it comes time that our children question a man squeezing down a chimney & a red-nosed reindeer, we will tell them that Santa is grace & that as long as they believe in that, gifts will be bestowed.  Just like Someone Else.

So yes, Harrison.  There is a Santa Claus.

Ashley December 20, 2011 at 3:06 pm

PERFECTLY said!!!!!!

LIZ December 20, 2011 at 3:07 pm

…this made me cry. thank you for this… for helping me put words to what i feel, too. to what i believe, because i do believe. (and i couldn’t quite put words to the fact of why it hurt so deep every time i read about someone saying how santa is a lie, and we shouldn’t lie to our children… because no – i don’t lie to my child… but we do believe in santa…)

Michelle December 20, 2011 at 3:09 pm

Thank you. I’ve been reading too much of the “we don’t lie to our kids” when it comes to Santa. What happened to just believing? Using your imagination once a year? Even if you don’t relate Santa to the story of Jesus (I love how you connected the two), it seems that not “doing” Santa takes so much magic away from Christmas. No kid is going to be wrecked as an adult because their parents “lied” about Santa. I know I’m using a lot of air quotes so I apologize.

Anyways, I like this. Thank you for writing it. I really believe that in life, it is all about how you frame things. Santa doesn’t have to be a lie. He can be a story. And you can believe in him.

rae December 20, 2011 at 3:21 pm

this is a little hypocritical for someone who doesn’t even take their child to church, on holidays that are very critical in any southern baptist relious home, like Christmas and Easter, no?

your son would understand and believe in your concept a little more if you actually showed him the TRUE meaning of christmas. not just writing about it.

pure grace is dragging your tired ass out of bed on a sunday morning and going to church instead of laying around making cinnamon buns.

heirtoblair December 20, 2011 at 3:24 pm

There is a lot more to faith & Jesus than a Sunday morning pew.

& a lot more to a personal relationship with Jesus than darkening the door of a formal church on holidays simply because we are “supposed to.”

I believe church & worship can be found in the every day, in the way we treat others & give willingly & care for the poor & sick. I believe that church is the one I am called to on a daily basis, not one that I drag around as a burden once a week.

Sara T. December 20, 2011 at 3:32 pm

I believe this with all my heart… very well said. Sitting in church on Sunday does not ,by default, make a good (or even nice) ::ahem:: person.

Natalie B December 20, 2011 at 6:39 pm

Nicely said. Jesus just wants a relationship with us. We can do that anywhere.

carrie December 21, 2011 at 3:30 pm

you CAN do that anywhere, but to not go to church is ignoring instructions given to us in the bible. churches exist so we can join together and worship God. It’s not about us, it’s about Him! With all he does for us, the best we can do for him is live our life for Him!

Andrea December 20, 2011 at 5:02 pm

Yep, sitting in church on Sunday makes you Christian just as much as sitting in a football stadium makes you an NFL player. Walk the walk, sister.

Arnebya @ whatnowandwhy December 20, 2011 at 3:34 pm

Rae, I respect your opinion (although you sound a bit angry and harsh, judgmental even). I can talk to Jesus right this instant if I want. In fact, I do. I don’t reserve it for Sunday morning or my Baptist church. I believe in fellowship and tithing, but I do NOT subscribe to these things taking place only on Sundays or in pastels and dying eggs. That said, I do not attend regularly. That is between me and Him. Because this God is your God, this God is my god.

Do you truly know what BA is doing to teach Harrison the true meaning of Christmas? Remember, online personas are only a snippet of a person’s true identity. You haven’t the foggiest (or do you?) idea what she, or any of us for that matter, do and don’t discuss. When we pointedly say what we don’t do, though, even that should be met with understanding and wait for it…grace.

MomNom December 20, 2011 at 3:52 pm

Rae, true grace is found in turning the other cheek and not saying anything at all if you have nothing nice to say. Jesus doesn’t need that kind of PR.

NatalieJanette December 20, 2011 at 4:27 pm

BAM. Love this.

Laura Kae December 20, 2011 at 4:08 pm

Yikes. Rae, There is so much wrong with everything you said I don’t know where to start. I don’t think YOU understand what grace is because it CERTAINLY has nothing to do with being in a church on a Sunday (be it “critical” or not- whatever that means… because I’m pretty sure Jesus never commanded people to MAKE SURE they were in church on the “critical” Sundays).
Grace is getting what we don’t deserve because of Christ’s love for us. What’s amazing, and beyond my understanding, is that God freely lavishes us with grace- even those of us who aren’t walking in his light: even people who judge others when they in fact have no idea what goes on in their lives or their hearts.

BA- I like this post. I love to think (and plan to teach my Noah) that “Santa” does what he does because he enjoys showing God’s love to others. Basically my entire stance on God, Santa and their relationship can be summed up in Veggie Tales’ “Saint Nicholas: a Story of Joyful Giving”.:)
For a while I was concerned with whether or not Noah would question the reality of Jesus, when he does, eventually, learn the reality of Santa, but I think that the fact that we talk about Jesus on a daily basis, and Santa only a few weeks out of the year, will cement that in his brain. I love hearing other’s views on Santa and God! Merry Christmas!

Samantha Vermeulen December 20, 2011 at 4:54 pm

Laura, thanks for posting that video title, I’m going to check it out!

Meredith @ La Buena Vida December 20, 2011 at 11:05 pm

Rae–In response to your comment that, “pure grace is dragging your tired ass out of bed on a sunday morning and going to church.”

Grace has nothing to do with us. It’s not what we have or haven’t done at all. Nothing we do earns it. Period.

Erin December 20, 2011 at 3:23 pm

I still haven’t decided on Santa! I was raised in a religious home where we were never led to believe in Santa. I kind of think we missed out on some of the magic of Christmas. But I’m not sure I have it in me to spin the Santa tale, probably because I was raised without it. My son is not even two yet so I guess I still have time to figure it out…

Leslie December 20, 2011 at 3:25 pm

YES! Thank you for this. Perfectly put….a Christmas with Santa does not mean a Christmas without Christ.

Ciara December 20, 2011 at 3:39 pm

Love this Leslie!

Courtney Anne December 21, 2011 at 6:25 pm

YES YES YES!

molly December 20, 2011 at 3:26 pm

You know, my mom always said that santa does really exist. She said he exists in the parents. I think that makes good sense. Moms always have the right answer.

Amanda @ One Step at a Time December 20, 2011 at 3:27 pm

There is magic and hope and wonder in believing. I have struggled with all of these things over the last couple of years, and am grateful for my children who give me a reason to rediscover all those precious gifts. Well said BA!

Arnebya @ whatnowandwhy December 20, 2011 at 3:27 pm

For a little while earlier this year I fell into the “why lie” phase of Christmas. But, even as not quite on board w/the Christmas spirit as I am, I simply can’t detract from the experience for my kids. The oldest no longer believes, the middle girl is on the fence, and the boy? Well, the boy would be happy if we let him eat cheese all day. He’s only 2. But I’ve decided that that magic is worth the so-called lie. It is belief. And wonder. And magic. And grace. And childhood needs those things. I will stall the 8 yr old on disbelief as long as possible, asking instead if SHE believes. As long as she does, the grace is there.

Mrs. MidAtlantic December 20, 2011 at 3:28 pm

YES! Santa is real. Even if he’s more of a concept… he is real! I still believe in Santa, and I hope I always do. I am having so much fun teaching my daughter about Christmas and all it’s meanings – from a little baby in a manger to a man in a red suit!

ABC December 20, 2011 at 3:33 pm

Thank you.

Ciara December 20, 2011 at 3:38 pm

Perfectly said, BA. Our two year old is very into Santa this year, and GASP, we are are Christians who go to church every Sunday. While we talk about Santa, she also knows that Christmas is Jesus’ birthday and we are making him a birthday cake. Do you ever wonder if the santa hating parents dress their kids up for Halloween? Just curious. :) To each his own of course, but allowing our children to experiece fun and wonder Christmas morning does not make us bad parents…or bad Christians.

Erica December 20, 2011 at 3:38 pm

Amen! Well Said! I totally agree…………just like we tell our daughters they are princeses and our sons they are superhero’s …….there is nothing wrong with letting a child have that magic of christmas time ….and you can also instill in them the real meaning of Christmas and celebrating the birth of christ at the same time. I know tons of people who before opening gifts with their children every Christmas morning …they read the gospel of Luke and tell them the story of Christmas. Allowing your child to believe in Santa doesn’t take away from the celebration of Christ if you dont let it. People need to seriously quit being tight asses and lighten up!

Amy December 20, 2011 at 4:08 pm

Agree w most of this, except the princess part. Do your daughters a favor and tell them they’re superheroes, too.

In doing so, you’ll actually be doing your sons, and society ay large, a favor as well.

Erica December 20, 2011 at 4:27 pm

UMM OK …..LIKE SOMEONE ELSE SAID ON HERE ……SAYING SOMETHING VIA BLOG IS ONLY A SNIPPET OF WHO WE ARE ….AND YES MY DAUGHTER IS TAUGHT TO BE A STRONG YOUNG WOMAN….A SUPER WOMAN AT THAT …..She isn’t gonna be just a “damsel in distress” if thats what your implying. I Was only using those as an example. Both of my kids are encouraged to use their imaginations and dream and be whatever they want to be

Amy December 20, 2011 at 5:33 pm

I think that’s great! Not sure why you went all caps! If that’s your feeling, then I’m sure you understand that your example of telling boys they’re superheroes and girls they’re princesses is misleading. It seems we agree.

Erica December 20, 2011 at 5:37 pm

SORRY I WAS ALL CAPS CUZ IM AT WORK AND TYPE IN ALL CAPS ON PROJECTS THEN I CHANGED IT CUZ I DIDNT REALIZE IT …..AND NOW DOING IT AGAIN (NOTHING MEANT BY IT THOUGH)

heirtoblair December 20, 2011 at 4:42 pm

oh, see I LOVED being told I was a princess :) It was a wonderful escape from playing GI Joes with my big brothers.

Amy December 20, 2011 at 5:36 pm

Balance is key, yes! Playing gi Joe and princess is probably the best of both worlds (or worst, depending on who you’re playing with…)

heirtoblair December 20, 2011 at 5:43 pm

Sometimes my barbies were run over by tanks. Twas tragedy!

Then again, GI Joes mysteriously wore lipstick 50% of the time…oops ;)

Erica December 20, 2011 at 5:38 pm

ME TOO! i WAS A PRINCESS WHO LOVED GI-JOES!!!!! AND PLAYING IN TREES AND BUILDING FORTS IN THE WOODS WITH MY BROTHERS

Heather M. December 20, 2011 at 3:39 pm

While we do celebrate a Christmas with santa, christmas cookies, presents, lights ect. its definately not our main focus..our focus is always on the birth of Jesus. I have always looked at all the other stuff as a little fun spin to the very serious story of my personal savior. We always bake a birthday cake and sing happy birthday to Jesus :)

Erica December 20, 2011 at 3:54 pm

Yay We do a birthday cake for jesus too! and sing Happy Birthday :)

Erica @ Midwesternita December 20, 2011 at 3:40 pm

This is right on, so simple and gracefully written. I can’t imagine why Santa wouldn’t be in any home, but to each their own I guess!

LauraC December 20, 2011 at 3:41 pm

Freaking perfect post.

Diana @Hormonal Imbalances December 20, 2011 at 3:46 pm

And I’m going to have Sam read this tonight. We have been SO torn over the things we’ve read these past few weeks. Thank you for this.

Allison December 20, 2011 at 3:51 pm

We have talked about this a lot at our house because I have read a lot of “we are not going to lie” to our children, so Santa doesn’t exist for them. Our family totally does Santa and if you ask Lydia (19 months) what does Santa say, she will tell you HoHoHo. She also plays with a Little People Nativity, she knows Jesus and believes in Santa, it is win win and soooooooooo much fun!! Thanks for your post and Merry Christmas :)

Amanda December 20, 2011 at 3:54 pm

So well said! I have been pondering for days how to go about Santa Claus with my daughter and I think this is perfect. I certainly want Christ to be the center of Christmas, but I remember the amazing feeling I had on Christmas morning and I want that for her too. Merry Christmas!

Lisa December 20, 2011 at 3:56 pm

I struggled with Santa this year, in a way that surprised me. “Santa is Grace”. I honestly don’t understand what this means, nor how to explain to my child (once he is old enough to understand) why some people get gifts in excess while others get nothing (on Christmas Day or any other day for that matter.) I think this speaks at a basic level to my feelings regarding Christianity as well.

heirtoblair December 20, 2011 at 4:50 pm

I struggle with this because I don’t know the answers.

What I do know is how I felt growing up – that Santa wasn’t earned or deserved, that it was simply a similar grace to the love God shows for us. A toy elf didn’t run back every night to report my behavior & decide whether or not I would get toys (that being said, I adore the Elf on the Shelf although we don’t use one & I REALLY enjoy the inapropriate ones because I’m totally a five-year-old at heart). I could have been a shit kid all December & still received Christmas because it was grace & mercy, not merit, that brought those presents.

So I simply understood that the kids with less didn’t get less because they were bad or less favored, & I didn’t get more because I was super-special with Jesus in my back pocket. I think that caring for others at Christmas – like an angel tree or adopting a family or sponsoring a child – helps spread the grace & I think the more you spread the grace, the less likely it is for it to morph into greed.

Lisa December 20, 2011 at 5:32 pm

I guess I still don’t understand why then mercy is shown more to some than to others, and as a kid grows up he will undoubtedly realize that coincides with the financial status of his parents. (Nor do I expect you to explain it to me, it’s just a fundamental type of thing that keeps me up at night :/ )

megkeith December 20, 2011 at 4:22 pm

This is so perfectly said. Growing up in a Christian home, we talked about Santa but always knew he was fictional…. but yet, not? I want it to be the same way in our home, and you worded this perfectly.

Sarah S. December 20, 2011 at 4:27 pm

Thank you, thank you, thank you for writing this.

NatalieJanette December 20, 2011 at 4:29 pm

I’m not sure that I’ve ever commented here, but today feels like a good day to start. I love this post, a whole bunch, and it made me relive the magic of Santa and Christmas and Jesus in my heart, while sitting in my cubicle. Which is what Christmas is about – feeling the magic of the season wherever one might be. Thank you. <3

erin December 20, 2011 at 4:31 pm
Samantha Vermeulen December 20, 2011 at 4:48 pm

The “church” is the body of believers, not a building! I just had to throw that out there.

heirtoblair December 20, 2011 at 4:50 pm

Andrea December 20, 2011 at 4:49 pm

THIS. I hate that it is a suddenly a “trendy” thing to not do Santa. It is one thing if it’s a religious conviction, but it seems like everyone is claiming they are far too superior to “lie” to their offspring. Anyway, yes – love this :)

Maureen December 20, 2011 at 4:51 pm

Love this so much!

Kristin @ What She Said December 20, 2011 at 5:25 pm

I love this! Beautifully said.

Sam December 20, 2011 at 6:01 pm

Thank you for this. I’m 27 and have no kids, but when we do, Santa will be in our home just like this.

This is how Santa was in my home growing up…and I still get gifts from him.

Jennifer December 20, 2011 at 6:17 pm

Well call me a liar because Santa will live on in my house as long as the wee man will let him. We will set out the cookies, and pretend to hear reindeer on the roof, and will make “fake santa footprints” out of carpet powder in my living room. We will watch the Grinch on repeat, and writes letters to Santa, and no matter how old he gets i’ll never put his gifts under the tree until he goes to sleep christmas even night, so the wonder of it all is never lost on him. My son knows that his parents and God loves him. He is showered with that love everyday, and it’s through God’s grace and guidance that I am able to parent him and love him like I do…even if that means getting the Drum Set that he’s been talking about for months and months….;)

JenS December 21, 2011 at 11:57 am

Love this, Jennifer. You made me cry.

jess liv December 20, 2011 at 6:32 pm

i love this — not just for my future kids, but for me! when the “lie” was revealed to me at 10 years old, i felt like the magic had been sucked out of christmas. now at 23, you’ve added a little more merry to my christmas morning.

those who are concerned with lying to their children should definitely hop on my mother’s back (one of the best mothers in the world) because she brought me up to be what i consider a good person by telling me …
– the cops were going to arrest her if i didn’t stop talking back to her.
– my broccoli would grow into a tree overnight & our house would be flattened if i didn’t eat it.
– any & all candy was “medicine”, & therefore not to be “taken” unless she allotted the proper amount (i figured that one out pretty quick).
– if i make an ugly face, it would forever be stuck that way.
& my personal fave: “JESS IF YOU DON’T GO TO BED YOUR BOOBS WILL NEVER GROW!” — obviously i slept a lot, because i have G’s. that’s quadruple D’s. d-d-d-damn.

oh & if you need some help getting your jesus on this sunday, feel free to braid your cinnamon buns into crosses, since that’s all you do on sundays, apparently. honestly i claim no solid religion (although i was baptized) but this post was one of the most touching & spiritual things that i’ve read (& ENJOYED!) in a long time. thank you for bringing the magic, BA.

Kerri A. December 20, 2011 at 6:37 pm

I cannot tell you how much I love this! I’m 26 & I still (& will always) believe in Santa. Not the fat man in a red suit breaking into people’s houses while they sleep, but the Santa you described. The idea that NO MATTER WHAT there is always hope & grace & magic & beauty in this world.

Melissa December 20, 2011 at 6:47 pm

OMG! I love the thought that Santa is grace. That is beautiful and I’m stealing it…. I’m beginning this year to make cupcakes for Jesus’ Birthday with Caroline (3yo) and telling her that we get presents because Jesus isn’t on Earth to open ones for himself. So adding that will just further instill in her the meaning of Christmas!

Jacqueline@Marblesrolling December 20, 2011 at 8:07 pm

I recently read The Truth About Santa (on Pinterest, of course!) and found it very meaningful and heartwarming, particularly because we are a young family establishing our own traditions and building on familiar ones. My parents always said, “If you don’t believe in Santa, you won’t get any presents”, and to this day haven’t formally admitted that Santa doesn’t literally exist. As an awkward 14 year old I wasn’t sure how to feel when I was pretty confident that my parents were the ones leaving the gifts out on Christmas Eve and yet they denied having any part of it. Not the worst thing to happen to a teenager, but it still left me confused and a little embarrassed. I wish someone had explained it to me in a way that had retained the magic while allowing me to grow too. Instead I was left to guess and eventually I made up my mind and the whole season lost it’s sparkle. Now that I have my own kids, I’m happy to live the magic again, but take a look if you haven’t already: http://www.cozi.com/live-simply/truth-about-santa

Amanda December 20, 2011 at 8:43 pm

Can’t thank you enough for this! I’m tired of hearing about parents conflicted about Santa vs. Jesus. Really?? You have to choose?? Santa is 1 day a year, Jesus is 365.

Andrea December 20, 2011 at 8:53 pm

Ahhh Rae, spoken like a true “baptist”. People like you are the reason I left the Baptist church 10 years ago and horror of all horrors am raising my son….CATHOLIC!

heirtoblair December 20, 2011 at 9:34 pm

::fist bump:: from one former Southern Baptist to another.

I bet Rae doesn’t realize that the reason we stopped going to church on the regular was because we haven’t found one yet that suited us after feeling disenchanted with the Baptist denomination for several years. Still, we do go every Christmas Eve & every Easter we are in town to the church where we were married (that I grew up in).

Meredith @ La Buena Vida December 20, 2011 at 11:02 pm

We always did Santa growing up. So did Justin, who is even a pastor’s kiddo. Neither of us questioned Jesus’ existence upon learning that Santa wasn’t real. Actually, I don’t know anyone who has. Sometimes, I’m not sure that we give kids enough credit for their intelligence.

Anyway, my sister-in-law has a great approach to the Santa “debate” that we are going to adopt with Lizzy–she explains that “Santa” was a real person named St. Nicholas who lived long ago and secretly gave gifts to others for Christmas in remembrance of Jesus’ birthday. Today, Santa has lots of helpers (the santas you see at the store, the ones on TV, grandmas and grandpas, people at church, and sometimes even parents) who help him help us to continue to show our love to others by giving gifts for Jesus’ birthday.

Sarah December 21, 2011 at 12:36 am

I think this is a fantastic way of handling Santa and Christmas. I suppose now that we have a little Abby running [um, crawling] around, we’ll have to come up with what we’re going to do. I didn’t grow up with Santa, but my husband’s family did. In my family, we knew about the historical St Nicholas, celebrated Christmas as the birth of Jesus, and watched Rudolph, Santa Claus is Coming to Town, etc. Nice combination, huh? I love your take on how to view Santa as ‘grace’ versus ‘naughty/nice.’ I guess we’ll be deciding how to handle all that over the next year or so…thrilling!

Megyn December 21, 2011 at 2:36 am

Ok, I guess I’ll be the voice of dissent here. We tell our boys (well the oldest who understands it) about Santa. He knows he is not a real person, but loves to pretend about Santa. I think a lot of you who bring up the whole “lying” issue may not see the other side. We don’t do Santa (or the Tooth Fairy or Easter Bunny) for philosophical reasons. I don’t believe it’s right for our family to give God-like characteristics to fake things and tell my kiddos it’s all real, then take it back about a few things. I was told Santa was real. I was also told God was real growing up. I found out one was fake. I’ve never been able to be super religious or have an unwavering faith in a higher power because of the falsehoods I was told growing up. I don’t want my kiddos to experience that confusion either. It’s not to say that people who choose to do Santa are doing the wrong thing. But I often take offense when people suggest my kids won’t have the magic or imagination. If anything, I’ve only seen the exact opposite. Despite us not celebrating Christmas, our 3 year old adores Santa and loves to pretend anything involving him or watch shows involving him. I encourage this. There’s nothing with him knowing something is just a story. He shares in the magic too, but also has a firm grip on reality. Just my two cents…

Ashley Y December 21, 2011 at 10:35 am

I love the magic. I remember trying to fall asleep on Christmas Eve after church at my Grandma’s house. I could see out the window from my bed and I would watch for Santa until I couldn’t keep my eyes open any more. I loved it. I don’t want to take that from my children, I want them to go to bed excited and I want them to believe in Princesses and fairy tales and Disney World. That is part of childhood, believing in magic. Life is hard enough and we all need magic and make believe.

carrie December 21, 2011 at 3:19 pm

Hey Blair, I think it’s sweet that you want Harrison to have all the magic, but I do feel that it is inappropriate to use words like Mercy and Grace in reference to him. Jesus died, bleeding on a cross to provide us with mercy and grace. Let’s not give it to a fictional character without naming the one who made it possible for us to be here in the first place. As for church, I read what the other women wrote. The bible calls us to corporate worship (church) this is largely for fellowship and accountability. Church isn’t about us, it’s about getting together to worship God. Luckily for us, it helps refresh us for the week ahead so we can be better in tune with God. We have to either claim Jesus and the Bible and believe and live all of it, or we can’t claim any of it. There’s no picking and choosing. So, if you want to claim that you are a baptist and not just by inheritance- then you might want to get in touch with the church… otherwise you aren’t baptist at all.
I’m not trying to be mean in any fashion, just honest.

carrie December 21, 2011 at 3:50 pm

when i reread this, i did sound mean towards the end there. I apologize!
I am simply aggravated at this point with our “Chrisitan nation” there are so many denominations and arguments and it seems like it would be so much simpler if we all just stuck to finding out what the bible says and not interjecting what we “think”. also- i wanted to share with you that it is important not to let hypocrites be your reason for not going to church. Satan would never allow an earthly church to be perfect. those people are there doing the things they do and that will never change. Don’t let them be your stumbling block! ;)

carrie December 21, 2011 at 3:52 pm

lol i can’t spell

Kelly December 22, 2011 at 9:41 am

I never comment, but after reading this, I had to. Thank you so much for posting this! I had quite a ‘discussion’ with a family member awhile back about telling kids ‘the truth’ about Santa. While we know ‘the truth’, children so deserve to have the experience of the magic and wonder of Christmas. There is nothing wrong with allowing them this time of innocence and honestly, I quite enjoy watching them enjoy it.

ams33/alisha December 22, 2011 at 12:18 pm

Rae, you are speaking of works, which are good. Grace is a different story; it covers us when the works we do are bad, and Grace still finds us and shows forgiveness.
And BA thank you so much for this post- it says everything about Santa that I believe and have been trying to say to my oh so logical husband. I’ll be sharing this post with him ;)

Becky @ Cinderelladuty.blogspot.com December 22, 2011 at 5:19 pm

Can’t tell you how much I love this post. Yesterday, my man brought up the “naughty list” to my little girl. She looked terrified and I felt so bad for her. It just didn’t feel right. In fact, it felt so wrong tricking her like that and making her think that one little wrong act and she was labeled “naughty” for the whole season. I love your perspective of grace. I’m going to talk to my husband about this tonight and things are gonna change around here. Thank you! Visit me sometime at http://cinderelladuty.blogspot.com!

Sarah December 26, 2011 at 10:49 pm

I’ve let my email inbox go untouched for almost a week, so I’m just getting around to reading your posts from last week. I SO appreciated this post, as I’ve been struggling with what to do for our boys. Thanks for reminding me that they can have both! :)